Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
rpiotr
rpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Touch
Glo vs Touch

Hi,

It's my firts post here, so at first: hallo everybody

I am just going to buy my first e-reader. After studying a lot of reviews I am choosing between Kobo Glo and Touch. In the ideal world I would buy Glo, but the problem is, that it's not available in my country and I have no idea when will it be. So I have the question for those of you who did use both models: is Glo worth of waiting ? Honestly, I do not need lighting too much. I will be reading mostly at home, when I can always switch on the lamp. But what about other features of Glo, like higher resolution or faster CPU ? Are these (or maybe others) so important to justify some weeks (or months ?) of waiting ? I will be using it mostly for reading side-loaded epubs, so the most important for me is reading experience of plain text.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

Piotr
rpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Welcome to the board! The speed increase from the Glo is nice, and I find I actually use the light more than I thought I would. Resolution increase isn't that noticeable to me except the covers and possibly maps/pictures in books, but would probably be more important if you like reading very small text. The Touch is a good reader and the functionality (other than speed and light) is basically the same between them so I'd probably say go for it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
As you say, all things being equal, one should buy the Glo. I do find the faster speed is noticeable, but to my eyes, the higher resolution is only noticeable on halftone graphics, not text. The light IS nice, though. But the Touch is a terrific reading device on its own, and it's cheaper, too.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
the touch if fast with epub (less with pdf) and cheaper now with glo on the market... if you don't need the light so much you could invest the difference in price for a 5€ external led lamp with clip and a 32gb sd card

Last edited by _pietro; 10-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely the Glo, it's the latest and one of the best readers out there.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Hi there rpiotr and welcome to the forum :-)
I have both the Kobo Touch and the Glo. Both are excellent readers. I love my Glo because I found it difficult to read my Touch in my living room without a reading light close by and now I can read anywhere without worrying about lighting conditions. If this is not an issue for you, go ahead and buy the Touch. But if lighting is an issue, wait for the Glo.

Last edited by Breid; 10-26-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I have no use for the light in the Glo. I can read my Touch in all the places and situations where I would read a real book. That's enough for me.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
If the higher price of the Glo is not an issue, you are better waiting for the Glo. Resolution is better and the lighting is actually useful not only in complete darkness but also in low light conditions or even normal conditions. It gives the screen a nice, white appereance like a real book instead of that greyish background that ereaders have which isn't ideal in terms of contrast with black text.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Glo owners, do you notice that the light guide layer it there? What I mean is that when I had a Paperwhite when I'd view the screen at a bit of an angle sometimes it would almost have an effect that made the text appear to be 'under glass', where as my regular eInk devices didn't do that.

I don't need the light really, I was thinking of a light feature simply as something I would use very occasionally, so am most interested in something that looks the best under fairly well lit conditions. I've been eyeing the Kobo's because I like the way you can handle things with fonts to get the 'perfect fit' for yourself or at least that's how it seems to me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Droid
Droid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
When I had my Touch, I thought it was the best ereader ever. Now I have a Glo, I don't know how I read without it. Definitely get the Glo if you have the chance. You deserve it!

I actually really love using the Glo function outside, even when the sun is out. On maximum, it makes the page nice and white... very clean looking. It's a pleasure to read with the device.
Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Glo owners, do you notice that the light guide layer it there? What I mean is that when I had a Paperwhite when I'd view the screen at a bit of an angle sometimes it would almost have an effect that made the text appear to be 'under glass', where as my regular eInk devices didn't do that.

I don't need the light really, I was thinking of a light feature simply as something I would use very occasionally, so am most interested in something that looks the best under fairly well lit conditions. I've been eyeing the Kobo's because I like the way you can handle things with fonts to get the 'perfect fit' for yourself or at least that's how it seems to me.
Well, I don't know about the Paperwhite but I just spent some time trying from all angles looking at the Glo screen, with light on and off, to see if I can notice the light guide or if the text would appear "under glass" and I see absolutely nothing. In fact, comparing to my old Kobo Touch the screen is absolutely the same (except Glo has higher resolution).

But I'm telling you: even though I thought I would obviously only use the light in darkness, I'm surprising myself at actually keeping the light on in almost all light conditions. The light makes the screen white in a non-backlit way, so it isn't a strain on the eyes, but it greatly improves text contrast and makes reading much more easy and enjoyable than looking at the standard e-ink greyish screen.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks Tzar. Hopefully they'll be available here soon.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a little ironic that the USA which has it all first and foremost, is "waiting" for some new piece of technology.
Most of the time it's in Europe that we receive the new stuff a few weeks or months later which is very annoying when you want it.
So how does it feel to have to wait when others have it already ?

On the other hand Kobo is hurting their profits by not selling there right now. Stuff comes there first cause it's the biggest single market in the world of course. So I wonder what is Kobo's strategy here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks Tzar. Hopefully they'll be available here soon.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Please one question.

Has Kobo glo similar contrast than kobo touch with light off?

thanks ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #15
rpiotr
rpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Touch
At this point Glo vs Touch 4:5, if I count correctly
I am still thinking. Anyway, it's weekend, shops are closed.
Thanks for your opinions
rpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote