Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
A subtle question..

Is there only clicking 'turn off' in the menu to turn the device off? Then is there no sleep mode like the power button function of DR800SG?
And what is the middle slot on the bottom for?

---
(added)
How could we add a font for another language? I tried on DR1000S as I did on DR800SG, but it doesn't work although the font path is the same with each other.. What makes it..?

(added again)
Ah, I solved it now! I erased a few files in font caches? folder with MC and made it reboot then it worked!!

Last edited by bokjeid; 09-27-2010 at 07:28 AM.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
Is there only clicking 'turn off' in the menu to turn the device off? Then is there no sleep mode like the power button function of DR800SG?
And what is the middle slot on the bottom for?
Hi bokjeid,

The DR1000 does not have the 'sleep mode' from the DR800 (probably due to some hardware constrain). There is however a mechanism that puts the DR into an 'idle mode' when there is no user interaction for a few seconds. This does save some power, but not as much as the specific DR800 mode.

The slot in the middle is a development connector. Its functions are not documented, but it is assumed that it has a serial port and presumably also a 2nd usb. But that is all guess work based on messages that have been posted here by several people the last few years.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
bokjeid
Addict

Mackx, thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation!
Then does it mean that I just let it alone, doing nothing when I finished using it unlike DR800SG? Would I try to be used to it..?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Mackx, thank you very much for your kind and detailed explanation!
Then does it mean that I just let it alone, doing nothing when I finished using it unlike DR800SG? Would I try to be used to it..?
The 'idle-mode' of the DR1000 still uses power, some parts of the system are still using power (for example to detect that you press a button or tap with the stylus). The DR1000 switches completely off when not used for 30 minutes (can be controlled in Settings->Power). The DR800 has a mode inbetween the idle and power-off mode w.r.t. power consumption. At least that is how I understand it so far.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
With the DR1000, during short periods of inactivity it will go into a power saving mode automatically. However that mode is not really meant for long term periods. If you're not planning on using it again for a while, then you probably want to turn it off in order to save battery.

The DR800 is different. It doesn't actually have an off mode at all. Whether you use the switch or just let it sit for 30 minutes, it will go into the same "sleep" mode. Using the switch just manually makes it do that instead of waiting for 30 minutes. The only time a DR800 ever turns off is if the batteries run out.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
bokjeid
Addict

Ah, thanks for all of your replies. Then it seems that there has been no DR1000S users who need the instant sleep mode function which DR800SG power button shows.. As there is 'complete power off' in DR800SG program in this forum.. Anyway, I'll try auto off function in DR1000S from now on..
Thanks~
Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
bokjeid
Addict

Hmm, I tried it but I see that auto turn-off does not mean sleep mode on DR1000S. We know that the auto turn-off on DR800SG works as sleep mode which doesn't need booting time after.
Then how can we run sleep mode on DR1000S as on DR800SG? Would be there the application or can we make it?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Hmm, I tried it but I see that auto turn-off does not mean sleep mode on DR1000S. We know that the auto turn-off on DR800SG works as sleep mode which doesn't need booting time after.
Then how can we run sleep mode on DR1000S as on DR800SG? Would be there the application or can we make it?
The DR1000 only has the '(invisible) idle-mode' and the power-off mode. To implement the sleep-mode from the DR800 you would probably need to upgrade the hardware, I do not think it is possible with only a software change.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The DR1000 only has the '(invisible) idle-mode' and the power-off mode. To implement the sleep-mode from the DR800 you would probably need to upgrade the hardware, I do not think it is possible with only a software change.
Thank you for your precious information not on the official manual.
Because I don't like the booting delay of the device, I'd not turn it off and not use auto turn-off function then(I'd not remove a charger from it for all the time because of its small battery capacity)
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm, I tried it but I see that auto turn-off does not mean sleep mode on DR1000S.
Correct.

Quote:
Then how can we run sleep mode on DR1000S as on DR800SG?
You can't. There currently is no such thing on the DR1000.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Then it seems that there has been no DR1000S users who need the instant sleep mode function which DR800SG power button shows..
I wouldn't say that. There are lots of users who have asked for it, but it was never implemented into the DR1000 firmware.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I'm not as pessimistic about that. After failing this with the Iliad, the DR1000 hardware was specifically designed to support suspend to flash. Mackx, do you have any details that make you think they goofed that up a 2nd time? I've so far been willing to believe that they just hadn't gotten around to programming it yet.

The point is probably moot now, alas, as there's no one left now with the info to develop this mode for the DR1000 .

BTW: I think the extra connector is called the "extension connector" and was supposedly meant for accessoiries, but I've not heard of any so far. Possibly iRex used it for maintenance, such as reflashing bricked units.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
I'm not as pessimistic about that. After failing this with the Iliad, the DR1000 hardware was specifically designed to support suspend to flash. Mackx, do you have any details that make you think they goofed that up a 2nd time? I've so far been willing to believe that they just hadn't gotten around to programming it yet.
I think that all the suspend/sleep/shutdown modes get mixed, English is not my native language so I am probably not clear enough. I also think that suspend to flash can be implemented, but that they haven't gotten around to it. Given the bankruption of Irex I do not think that suspend to flash will be programmed by iRex, unfortunately. So hope is on the user community.
I think that the extra low-power/sleep mode that the DR800 has (which is not suspend to flash) can not be supported on the DR1000.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Some time ago I've taken a look at the DR kernel sources. Of course for ARM branch there's no ready implementation of suspend-to-flash, but seems to be doable. Probably copy/paste/port from other distributions where this is adopted. Efforts - not easy, cannot estimate though ..

Personally I had even problems compiling from DR kernel sources a working usbnet related .ko files (necessary changes were in, compilation went fine - not loadable ), but this is a totally different story.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

iRex has said before that calling them "suspend-to-ram" and "suspend-to-flash" wasn't really accurate, and that the modes are a little more complex than that. There doesn't seem to be a consistency with the names for them though.

The only thing iRex said about the second power mode for the DR1000, was that it was going to be added in a future release. Why they never got around to it, we don't really know. I would suspect that it had more to do with a resource/priority issue, than with a technical problem. But I don't really know for sure.