Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
DiverDave
DiverDave doesn't litterDiverDave doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
PDF & libprs500 problem

I'm trying to convert these PDF books to the right Sony format but it keeps failing. It looks like a DRM issue. I saw on the site for that conversion software that it says you need to remove the DRM but doesn't offer any software recomendations.

Does anyone know of any DRM removal software? I'm not trying to be illegal here. I purchased these books and want to read them on my Sony. The publisher gives a CD with the book with the ebook on it. I just can't read it on my Sony at least not very well due to font size.
DiverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Sorry

I'm pretty sure we are not allowed to talk about how to strip drm of an ebook here, sorry.

Use google you'll find lots of ways to remove DRM
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
I'm trying to convert these PDF books to the right Sony format but it keeps failing. It looks like a DRM issue. I saw on the site for that conversion software that it says you need to remove the DRM but doesn't offer any software recomendations.

Does anyone know of any DRM removal software? I'm not trying to be illegal here. I purchased these books and want to read them on my Sony. The publisher gives a CD with the book with the ebook on it. I just can't read it on my Sony at least not very well due to font size.
How are you trying to convert it?

How is the file protected? I would guess that it is at most protected by a password. If so, then whatever restrictions the publisher placed on the file can probably be bypassed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
DiverDave

I'm using the libprs500 conversion software recommended here. I add the PDF and hit Convert E-books and it gives me all sorts of crazy coded errors. I tried this on 2 different ebook PDFs I have with the same result.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm going to rename the thread in order to draw more attention.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
DiverDave

This is what I get when I try to convert the PDF...

ConversionError: 'pdftohtml' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Failed to perform job: Convert book:MCSA/MCSE: Windows Server 2003 Environment Management and Maintenance Study Guide: Exam 70-290
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 139, in run_job
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 158, in main
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 131, in process_file
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\pdf\convert_from.pyo", line 59, in process_file
File "libprs500\ebooks\lrf\pdf\convert_from.pyo", line 38, in generate_html
ConversionError: 'pdftohtml' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Log:
[INFO] convert_from.pyo:34:
Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
DO a reinstall and reboot you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
DiverDave

Nope. I reinstalled and rebooted. I get the same error.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
DiverDave

I was able to remove the password security on my PDF book but the conversion process still doesn't work. Same error.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
DiverDave

I found another converter here that converts from PDF to LRF. It worked fine but I don't see a whole lot of difference. The Font size is still pretty small. Even when I switch between S and M the font stayes the same. I wonder if there is something you can do during a conversion to increase the font size.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
with a normal ebook there are multiple fonts included.. not so with pdf.. its really one size has to fit all
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
DiverDave

Do you think if I bought this book http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=285929 it would work? It looks like it comes in two formats, Adobe and Mobi. Would I need to convert either of them to LRF format? Would the font be too small? Which format should I get?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #13
Frommm
Frommm began at the beginning.

Device: lBook ereader V3
Quote:
Does anyone know of any DRM removal software?
The most powerful conversion software is *******. It converts DRM-protected and unprotected music, films, video clips, audio books for playing on PCs, mobile phones, MP3 players, MP4 players and iPods, PDAs, PSPs and other devices.

Last edited by Patricia; 05-02-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Sorry: the link has been deleted because of forum policies about DRM removal tools.
Frommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
martine
Tina
martine began at the beginning.

Device: hibook, palm, sony
LRF and PDF

I have just recently started offering the Sony format, PDF for Sony and LRF for Sony. You can't convert and strip a regular PDF file for the Sony. The PDF for Sony is a different formatting procedure.

I also learned that the PDF for Sony is fine for people with good eyes, but difficult to enlarge the font. Now we have made the font larger, and my tester said she could read it fine. But we also offer the LRF for the Sony which is the correct file extension for the Sony reader.
martine is offline   Reply With Quote