Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This is great. I have the pbooks (in fact I have doubles of some of the books) but I'd love to get the ebooks, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
ok, let's go for it then - though I definitely cannot start in May!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Well, I'm only four years late to the party but I finally finished the book this year!

Hamlet, you really hit it out of the ballpark with this choice - I think it was a masterpiece. So much so that I really think it should be more famous as a world literature classic than it currently is. Needless to say, I loved it. In particular the descriptions, especially of landscapes and grounds, were so rich, vivid and lush that I was enchanted, and the delicate and subtle nuances of character personality were really wonderful.

I was very surprised while reading about the author after finishing the book. A dramatic ritual suicide after an unsuccessful coup d'etat? Wow!

There is apparently a Japanese film version of the book, but I don't see that's it's ever been released for an English-speaking audience. It's too bad as I'd be very interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I am really very very late...
Heh, you have nothing on me.

Quote:
it si not easy to understand where the love is springing from, at least in the case of Satoko: what did she find in Kyoiaki beyond beauty? Just the capricious broodyness of a morose teenager? That I found difficult to understand.
I didn't find it difficult. As you mentioned he was exceptionally beautiful. Beauty can lay havoc to rationality. Also, she seemed to lead a pretty reclusive life by convention; with fewer opportunities to meet others her hormones had to make do with what was accessible to her. And I think she was attracted to his haughtiness and cockiness and as you mentioned his broodiness; some people can't help but be attracted to such things. Love and attraction work in mysterious ways and for whatever reason she was caught.

Quote:
And why does not Kiyo look for Tadeshina to find answers? After Satoko's departure, he is completely self absorbed and almost takes pleasure in self pity - he thinks of disasters and wars that could come and shatetr the situation, but only very late in the day resolves to do something about it.
My feeling is he definitely took pleasure in self-pity. He also seemed to have the personality trait of waiting, sometimes until the last possible minute, before doing things and then throwing his entire energy and enthusiasm into them. I think he liked the surge of adrenaline of knowing that he had to finally do something right then or else he'd fail at or lose whatever it was.

Quote:
I also very much enjoyed the "background" - the relationship between the Ayakuras and the Matsugaes, the old and the new, but also the relationship between hte masters and their servants, some of which are essential for the actual survival of the family. I only just finished the book, so need to sleep on it, but really cannot wait to read the other three.
I agree, and it’s interesting to me to compare and contrast this to a classic English novel featuring the rich and their servants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
damn - I bought the rest of the series a couple of weeks ago!

/perhaps we could have a mini group read if we coordinate, though I am not yet done with last March selection
Where do I sign up?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #19
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Missed this book entirely. Clearly I must read it. Thanks, sun surfer.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you'll really enjoy it, BelleZora!
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
And, the series has been released as ebooks since we read it which is great news.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #22
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Where do I sign up?
I have read Runaway Horses already, but I am planning the third in the sequence for this year, and judging from the pace I am going, you'll catch up with me in no time

Bellezora, go for it
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Nice to see this old discussion revived, and with some positive comments. Mishima is one of my favorite authors so I'm glad some appreciated it. The entire set of four books The Sea of Fertility really should be read, and in order. The writing is consistently excellent and it all ties together with questions about the nature of experience and reality.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #24
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I went to the library and couldn't find it on the shelves. Ended up with Fuentes and McCarthy instead. I will probably be requesting this one soon though. I'll only be a month or so behind sun surfer.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Hey! I resemble that remark.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And I finally finished this selection. Good grief. Now I have to trawl through all the other selections I've missed. My favorite book club pick so far.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, discussion, japanese, literary, literature