Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
jman11
jman11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
RSS feed not showing correctly

I have created multiple custom news sources using rss feeds from blogs I read. I create a .mobi file that I then read on my kindle.

One rss feed, however, keeps causing me problems. It is for Greg Mankiw's blog: http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/feeds...efault?alt=rss.

For each post, the .mobi file created shows first the blogs name in big, bold letters, the blog's tagline (again in bold), the date, the post's title, and then a bunch of info pulled from the right column of his blog (About, favorite links, etc.).

I'm not sure why this is happening - doesn't calibre just pull the info from the rss feed? Or does it call out to the web page too?

Thanks!
jman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need

use_embedded_content = True

in your recipe
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
ventures
ventures began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Kovid,

As I'm very new to Python, can you suggest me a recipe on which I can custom build, and make easy to import wordpress xml posts, titles etc. I've tried several options but failed. There is one recipe for Flickr but not Wordpress. Would appreciate your help!
ventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
jman11

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have a question re: my issue with the blog header but not blog post body showing up in the article. I used use_embedded_content = True, but now for about 2/3 of the article, the body isn't showing up. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman11 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have a question re: my issue with the blog header but not blog post body showing up in the article.
I used use_embedded_content = True, but now for about 2/3 of the article, the body isn't showing up. Thoughts?
Look at the RSS feed page. If you are getting everything you see on that page, without clicking past it through to the article, then it's working right. Many RSS feed pages show only a small part of the article.

use_embedded_content = True should only be set when everything you want to see is already on the RSS page. If any part of the article does not appear there, the recipe should not set that true. Very few recipes use that because most RSS feed pages require you to click past the feed page to read the article.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
jman11

Cool, thanks! I'll fiddle with it some more....