Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
maxwellsilver
maxwellsilver began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350
why those grey margins?

I'm very disappointed... I just received my Sony 350 and trying to read pdf's...
Yeah I know.. 5" are too small, all they're saying, but last week I returned a 6" because it deficient firmware..
I suppose Sony have one better software and letters on landscape mode it enought for me. but not at all by this two needed step (for technical pdf):

1.- Zooming, all great, but only if you were able to lock and move down on the page; not to lock, unlock, move, right move.., lock and again.. (i hope firmware release solution)

2.- Why those gray margins? Option to cut margins would be really great if the ereader cuts margins like it does but not put those grey margins to look pdf like a paper over a backgroung... (i'm doing it wrong?)

So, anyone have any tip to make more readable my pdf's?

Last edited by maxwellsilver; 01-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
maxwellsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
If reading in portrait mode, the only way to get rid of the margins is to change the font size to anything other than 'S'. Using the other font sizes causes the PDF to go into reflow mode.

Some PDFs do not allow reflow and the resulting text in reflow mode can be difficult to read for some.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
maxwellsilver

reflow is not an option cos i need to see tables
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
More general consensus seems to be don't use an eReader but get a tablet for tech pdfs, more screen real estate appropriate to the size of page... other choice is to completely reformat the book to match screen at the font size you require but this will be very time consuming and require Acrobat Pro or one of the cheaper third party pdf editors...

Sorry but some things just don't have an easy answer...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
maxwellsilver

i just don't understand why my old cheaper ereader can show pdf with margins cropped and a sony show these gray borders...
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellsilver View Post
i just don't understand why my old cheaper ereader can show pdf with margins cropped and a sony show these gray borders...
Maybe your old cheaper ereader showed those same borders, but in white. The 300 does that.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
maxwellsilver

no, it just shows wide page..

Tags
350, margin, pdf, sony, zoom