Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
So, if you read on a backlit reader (iPad, NookColor, Android tablet, etc.)

Have you noticed any decrease in your sleep quality?

The reason I ask is I got a NC not too long ago, and about that time, it seemed like no matter how much I slept, I still felt exhausted the next day. I didn't have insomnia, but I just didn't feel rested in the morning. Now, there are definitely many possibilities as to why that would be: 1) it's February, my most dreaded month -- I tend to feel tired this month no matter what, 2) I was taking a medication which I'm now no longer taking (it's been a week since I discontinued it, and do feel somewhat less tired, so that may be it altogether).

However, it still seems a bit of a coincidence with timing of when I got the NC and when I started feeling so tired. So I'm going to spend the next few weeks not reading the NC before bed and sticking with my PRS-350.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if you've had no issues at all. For reference, when I do read the NC at night, I read it on the gray background and at the lowest brightness setting.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well, i think it might be different for each person, but for me, i found myself having more trouble getting to sleep (using my ipod touch). and yes, i was exhausted the next day and had to take a nap in the afternoon. unfortunately, reading in bed late at night is so addictive!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have that problem with my eink device... it's called the "I read too much so my eyes get tired" syndrome
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I read at night no matter what. It's just a question of which device I'm reading on. Even if I'm not reading on my NC, I'm reading on my Sony.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I have never fallen asleep while reading (in bed) on my iPad. I regularly fall asleep reading my Kindle. Don't know what that means, but it's consistent behavior for me
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Have you noticed any decrease in your sleep quality?
Nope. But I do go to sleep too late at times. Especially when I'm at the end of the book and just must finish it... If I were reading it on e-ink, I'd have put the book away earlier as it's a pain to get the light just right (or my husband will have hit me for keeping the light on; the other night he gave me his Mighty Bright so he could sleep as the book I was reading was on my Sony...)

I wanted to go to bed early last night. It was past midnight when I finally turned off my reader... (and I need to get up at 6).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup it has been noted and reported on.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ook-sleep.html

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-05-13/t...ook?_s=PM:TECH

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/17...ff-your-ipad/#

If the above is true for the IPad it is probably true for the Nook Color.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict

The articles seemed to be more speculation than data, so I was hoping to see what people were experiencing during their actual usage. I know it will be anecdotal, and everyone is different, but still seemed like it could be an interesting discussion.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Maybe it's the overstimulation of your brain that is disturbing your sleep. One thing your brain does while sleeping is to reprocess the info you accumulate during the day. Reading before sleep may give you mental indigestion. I know if I code before sleep, I'll see myself debugging code in my dreams. I mean I literally see the section/line of code and say aha there's the problem. Then when I wake up first thing I do is turn on the PC and yup there it is. Thank you unconscious brain.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@barty yeah I agree. But if it also affects the melatonin levels, i've read in reader's digest that it increases the risk of cancer in women. So that's why they recommend sleeping in as dark a room as possible. Anyway, back to the topic, I wish I could just put ny iPod down lol
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Bright light right before sleep can interfere with sleep. Maybe it would help if you turned the brightness down on the screen?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I have no problems reading at night on my Nook Color and before that my ipad. On my rooted Nook Color using Cool Reader I can turn the brightness down so low that it is only light enough to see the pages. I did find reading on brighter settings didn't affect my sleep but bothered my eyes, not the LCD eyestrain stuff, but just the contrast between the dark room and the super bright reader.

I used to buy into the e-ink is the only way propaganda, but I am mainly a night, after bedtime, reader and couldn't go back to a non-backlit reader again. I have a PRS-650 and it is now only my backup and beach vacation reader.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
maxbookworm
Addict

Marcy -- I think I'm going to have to agree with you. I don't think it's the NC messing with my sleep. Here's my reasoning: all those articles are going on the hypothesis that too much light at night can interfere with the melatonin release in your body. Well, I'm going to read no matter what -- that's what I do in the evenings. And if I'm going to read, I need light. I don't see how my eyes / brain could know the difference between light entering from a reflected source or a transmitted source. It's the amount of light that is the issue. Also, as some people have pointed out, it could be the extra stimulation from doing a quick web surf or email check which can be a temptation with the NC. So I think I'll continue reading in bed with the NC with the brightness all the way down, but be disciplined about sticking with my book and not wandering onto the net.

Thanks for all your responses!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I've been reading on the backlit PC display for more than 10 years, and now even much better thanks to crisper LCD. I feel nothing unusual.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
No issues here, I read on the NC in the dark all the time before going to sleep.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote