Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Voltare
Voltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
New Inept Installer....

So a few days ago, I bought a book on ebooks.com. I was thrilled it was in ePub format, ready to read on my shiny new iPad. Oops; DRM. After a few hours of googling (it was a day off, so why not?) I came across a lot of great info here on mobileread, mentioning the scripts written by i<3cabbages. The problem was there were many different versions of the various files, scripts, etc, so after getting a combination that worked, I figured I'd give a little back. So, here you go: a package that includes everything you need (on windows) to strip ADEPT DRM from epub files.

It's my first and only effort at something like this, so I hope it's helpful. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while, in case anyone posts needing help.

<<Moderated - Links to DRM removal scripts not allowed>>

Voltare

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-03-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: removed link
Voltare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait, did you just use MobileRead apps and put them up for sale?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Totally useless. If you already have Python/PyCrypto and ADE 1.7.2, then why would you want to reinstall them? And besides, a direct link is not allowed on MR. So that has to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Totally useless. If you already have Python/PyCrypto and ADE 1.7.2, then why would you want to reinstall them?
And if you don't.....? It's not totally useless....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And besides, a direct link is not allowed on MR. So that has to go.
...it is however, not allowed I believe as you say.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Wait, did you just use MobileRead apps and put them up for sale?
Checked the link. Nothing being sold (unless you mean the download service offering premium svc for a fee).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Voltare
Voltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enoughVoltare will become famous soon enough

Sorry, didn't know direct links weren't allowed; I'm not really sure how else I could post it though.

Nope, not selling anything, and yes folks who've already figured out which version of python work with which versions of pycrypto, to run the right versions of inept, to strip the (presently) current version of Adobe, then naturally they wouldn't need it. I figured I'd spend an extra couple hours putting them in an installer, so that lots of other folks who aren't so script savvy might be able to make use of these.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks for the thought anyway. It certainly could save people a lot of googling!

BTW, the download doesn't seem to work in any case!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltare View Post
SThe problem was there were many different versions of the various files, scripts, etc, so after getting a combination that worked, I figured I'd give a little back.
Always get the newest versions - can't be that difficult .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Part of the problem is knowing what are the newest versions and that there is a new version available.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And if you don't.....? It's not totally useless....

...it is however, not allowed I believe as you say.
The installer should allow choosing what to be installed. That way, I would not have to reinstall the software I already have. I have the latest Python code anyway. But the point is, why reinstall programs that work?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
Voltare

Seems the script wasn't allowed here after all. I dropped i<3cabbages a note on his blog seeing if he's interested in making use of it.

For most of the folks reading this, you're right; it's *not* that hard. When I write code, I don't write it for people who can write their own code; I write it for people like my girlfriend, my mom, or my 12 year old son who could certainly benefit from using such a tool legitimately (say, to buy an ePub file, and put it on an iPad) but wouldn't possibly know where to start.

For this reason, I intentionally left the script without the option to change directories, or deselect packages, to make it 'grandma proof.' That said, it launches the individual Python, PyCrpypto, and ADR installers; you can always cancel those installers individually when they launch and still have the program successfully install.

Some folks might find it useful, others won't need it. Such is digital life.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi Voltare, and welcome to the forum. as you've discovered, for legal reasons we've got a policy on this forum against direct links to drm-removal tools. but it's really nice of you to want to show your appreciation to the community by giving something back, and i wanted to thank you for that. and i do understand the utility of having a "grandma proof" installer ! i know quite a few people who would be extremely relieved to have that, in fact. anyway, i hope you'll stick around, you'll find plenty more great information and friendly discussion here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Voltare

Hiya Zelda, and thanks I can appreciate the legal issues of course; it's a reason I haven't posted direct links on anything directly linked to my own name.

Is it acceptable to say that it wouldn't be hard to google my handle & a few other key words, to find it?

And yes, I'll be following discussions here. I remember when I was very young, I wished I had a computer to read books on, as I was a voracious reader and there weren't enough boxes or shelves to hold all the books I had, and simply carrying a heavy enough bag for vacations was a nightmare for me. In many ways, my iPad has become that. I think its safe to say in a few years, technology will catch up to itself, and we won't need to decrypt our own books, so we can read them how we like. Until then, I'm happy to do the hard work.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
nothing wrong with google, voltare. it's a friend to us all. glad to hear you'll be staying around. i know just what you mean about being a voracious reader. when i was a kid i would spend all summer vacation reading like a fiend, i could go through dozens of books (or more) in those three months. thank god for the public library... i wish i could still take 3 months off just for reading, now. unfortunately there's this pesky thing called work...

i agree with you that drm will eventually disappear. i hope it's sooner rather than later but until then personally i'm grateful to all the people who do the heavy lifting with the code.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm epub cabbages inept