Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
doc_oli
doc_oli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Classic, Nook Color & Nook Touch
I'm also with the crowd of pro-700 posters. I bought mine after comparing the the 505 and the 700 for about two hours at a Sony shop. I can only repeat the recommendations of the previous posters:
- Write down your requirements (For instance, I needed the ability to annotate.)
- Go to Borders or a Sony Style store and try them out for a longer period of time.
- Make a decision!

So far, I didn't have any problems with glare (tested a variety of lighting conditions inside and outside) or readability of the 700 screen.

In short, I'm happy with it.

Oliver
doc_oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm happy with my PRS700 also, but some are not.

I've been following this blog since it's inception and the latest review wasn't very favourable, IHOP.

Few complaints from me, except battery life using side-light is not up to spec.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I just now got back from Borders and have to say I am in the 505 camp. Primarily because of the glare on the 700 and the fact that its text just seems, I dunno, dimmer. I have to bump up the size to make it comparable to the crispness of the 505.

Now, take into account that I don't give a rat about all the 'features' of the 700. I simply want to load one to three books on it, and read. That is all. I don't want to read pdf's or do research. I just want to read novels for fun and will never have more than 4 going at any one time. And when done, will delete them and never go back to them. So, a plain jane CLEAR, no glare 505 is my vote. Of course, I probably won't get a reader period because the reader I want (prices and selection like the Kindle with a unit like the Sony) has not been made.

But my vote on screen alone goes to the 505. While the touch screen works well enough the build up of grime from my oily fingers is just one more reason I would never use it. Why add to the already dimmer screen with oil from my fingers. I think about how much I am constantly wiping off my cell phone because that oily build up bugs the crap outta me. Not a big fan of touch screens. I'll stick with buttons.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #19
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
@ Mrgauth a small newsflash: the PRS-700's screen does not have glare or smudge OR show fingerprints. I know because I HAVE one. Anyways..... you have a Kindle 2 according to your profile, so why are you posting all these posts on the Sony PRS-700 forum?
Just asking.......
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Oops. Fixed my sig. I returned the K2 due to the widely known low text-to-screen contrast. Could not read it comfortably except in extreme lighting. Hate that screen.

As for the glare thing, there is a thread comparing the screen of the 700 with a 505 under the same light at various angles CLEARLY showing glare. At certain angles making the 700 unreadable at all. I don't know how else to explain those photos. ALL readers have some glare to some degree. It is unavoidable with a glass or plastic screen. I can live with that, but NOT to the degree that the 700 has is all I am saying. Just a little too much. The cost of having a touch screen I guess. Good reader, just a shame they could not have done it with the same screen as the 505. And if smudges do not show, and I will take your word for that as I was merely afraid it might have built up over time, then I would gladly take a 700 if the screen were less reflective.

Last edited by Mrgauth; 03-28-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
like2read
like2read began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
...low text-to-screen contrast. Could not read it comfortably except in extreme lighting. Hate that screen.
Point well taken, which is exactly why i still love my not so new and shiny PRS-505. I have had a couple of other liasons with other vendors/devices (not only with the 700 mentioned in my review) but there is not a single device that offers a better display. That for me counts most - not sure why a lot of people argue about the ease of use and features and speed when the most important thing is the screen

Mrgauth i am fully with you - do not decide until you find a device where you like the screen...

Happy reading
like2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Never owned the 500/505, but I just purchased a 700. The glare isn't that bad, it's the lack of contrast that kills me. I only went with the 700, because PDF support was my primary concern and ebooks were a secondary. Not much choice when I want PDF support.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700

I think that the same way there are phones for different people with different needs/likes/dislikes there are also readers. Some people have sensitve eyes others don't. I have a PRS 700 and I love it. I dont care about the relative miniscule glare there is on the reader. But I can see where some people would mind ( I compared them side by side before purchasing in the Sony store). I think that people should do a list of thier needs in a reader and specs they desire in it and take it from there. Arguing about this till no end won't change people's minds, especially if thier adored reader is the center of the argument!

Last edited by Alphapheemail; 04-03-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added peace provoking image
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
I just got my 700 a few days back.
Honestly, I am disappointed with it.
First of all, the words are not clear, slightly foggy and that is a real turn off.
I mean so much for the e-paper and how it reduce eye strains when the display is not even clear
It does get better when I use it with a bright reading lamp, not something I do very often.

Secondly, the glare. Damn, I can even see features of my face, when lights bounces off my face, i.e. bright patches of the left side of my cheek bone and nose, when the lamp is on my left side.

I will just have to get used to it!
And, I still choose to think the technology is not mature enough. It feels like a gimmick/toy to me |:
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
like2read
like2read began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
First of all, the words are not clear, slightly foggy and that is a real turn off
Secondly, the glare
This is exactly the reason why I stick to my 505. My advise: get rid of the 700 on ebay and get tthe 505. You will love it as your two downturns are not existant on the 505

Happy reading
like2read
like2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #26
gory
gory began at the beginning.

Device: The iLiad
wrong post
gory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #27
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
a cosmetic solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Secondly, the glare. Damn, I can even see features of my face, when lights bounces off my face, i.e. bright patches of the left side of my cheek bone and nose, when the lamp is on my left side.|:
As any girl knows, a little powder, applied in the morning, will help with that glare coming off your face
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #28
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBillc View Post
As any girl knows, a little powder, applied in the morning, will help with that glare coming off your face
WHOA! I'm thinking you are a girl... I haven't heard of that but perhaps you can help me out with that?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #29
muse
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2read View Post
This is exactly the reason why I stick to my 505. My advise: get rid of the 700 on ebay and get tthe 505. You will love it as your two downturns are not existant on the 505

Happy reading
like2read
Brilliant!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBillc View Post
so does that mean that the people who were completely dissatisfied with their 700s have an oily complexion?
:
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote