Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
sk83
sk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
How to remove jailbreak from Paperwhite?

Hi,

Is there a method for reverting a jailbroken PW to stock, non-jailbroken state?

My PW was first jailbroken on 5.2.0, then updated to 5.3.0 and jailbroken again with ixtabs newly released jailbreak.

Thanks
sk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
: ) well.... you could just remove the dev key it installed.

(there is a list of basic changes that are made but that would be the big one)

Is there a reason you didn't post it on the relevant thread?
You would get more help there. "Is there an uninstaller" hardly deserves a new thread.

Meh. I'm grumpy - ignore me.
Ask on the relevant thread (So those with info get a notification??)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Meh. I'm grumpy - ignore me.
You want, I'll air-mail you some of my "nice-guy" pills.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You want, I'll air-mail you some of my "nice-guy" pills.
Or if in California (or one of the other "legal" states) he could just grow some and put it in pills himself. Is Texas one of those "happy pill" states?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only nice guys pills I need are:

cc1
make
pkg-config
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi...
etc HEHEHE

The mood enhancers of the new generation
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is it not enough to reinstall the original firm 5.3.0?
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
Is it not enough to reinstall the original firm 5.3.0?
Since it is a complete installer one might imagine so. whether you can elect to install 5.3.0 on a 5.3.0 device? I have no idea : )
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Since it is a complete installer one might imagine so. whether you can elect to install 5.3.0 on a 5.3.0 device? I have no idea : )
Yes, it's possible as I dit it. When it finished a message appeared saying that mine wasn't a developer kindle anymore so I guess it's not jailbroken now.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
Yes, it's possible as I dit it. When it finished a message appeared saying that mine wasn't a developer kindle anymore so I guess it's not jailbroken now.
No, this is by FAR not enough. While I don't know why anybody would want to un-jailbreak their device, I'm currently looking into what needs to be done.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
OK, so I just tested it. If you really, really want to "un-jailbreak" your Paperwhite, do this:
  1. Perform a factory reset (Settings -> Reset device)
  2. Re-install the official 5.3.1 update

Both of these steps are required, and must be performed in that order.

This method works regardless of which jailbreak you installed (NiLuJe's one for 5.2.0, or ixtab's one for 5.2.0/5.3.X), and will also remove the rescue pack and jailbreak bridge (if installed).

The net result is that your Kindle will be just like a factory-fresh device - all modifications ever installed, including jailbreak and user-installed ones, will be removed.

The procedure might leave behind a few files on the diags partition (leftovers from the rescue pack, if it was installed), but that's irrelevant because that partition isn't accessible on a non-jailbroken Kindle anyway.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
atleon
Enthusiast

Well, in my case I have an special offers kindle. I paid to unsubscribe special offers but my kindle kept showing the ads. I thought that maybe it was because of the jailbreak. That was the reason I tried to unjailbreak the kindle...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
twobob

This is interesting info.
As far as I know Amazon send a small piece of info down to the device to set some internal values. No big surprise there.

This is what they did when I got mine removed on the 3. Perhaps it was just never sent... Worth checking it out with them now you have yours "restored" : )
Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
When zeroing /dev/mmcblk0p1 on an SO kindle, it becomes a non-SO kindle until you connect to the net and it receives ads from amazon. On one of my kindles, it did not get ads even with wifi on until I connected to the amazon store two days later. You could try accessing the amazon store to see if your special offers go away...

If that does not work, try deregistering and reregistering it. The SO status for your device should be stored in your amazon account...

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
atleon
Enthusiast

Thank you guys. The ads dissapeared when the original firm was restored. Maybe it was a coincidence...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
twobob

ah well - happy endings