Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #451
redscarlett
Enthusiast
redscarlett began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
GC has user settings stored in the: <configuration folder>\plugins\Generate Cover.json

and saved images are stored in the <configuration folder>\calibre\resources\images\generate_cover folder in case there was a damaged image

You might try a (temporary) rename of the Json file (with Calibre shut down first). All you would lose is your cover template
I'm a computer noob, so forgive me if this is a stupid question! But is this a risky thing to do? Should I back everything up first? I'm now having a similar problem with FFDL now as well
redscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #452
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Backups are always a good idea before doing things like this, yes.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #453
redscarlett
Enthusiast
redscarlett began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:
GC has user settings stored in the: <configuration folder>\plugins\Generate Cover.json

and saved images are stored in the <configuration folder>\calibre\resources\images\generate_cover folder in case there was a damaged image

You might try a (temporary) rename of the Json file (with Calibre shut down first). All you would lose is your cover template
Thanks! It did work - just got 25 covers to remake lol! but thank you!
redscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #454
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by redscarlett View Post
I'm a computer noob, so forgive me if this is a stupid question! But is this a risky thing to do? Should I back everything up first? I'm now having a similar problem with FFDL now as well
Backups Yes

You seem to be having a BIGGER problem than just a single corruption.

Is your anti-malware up to date (and you have done a full scan recently)?
Are you having other disk errors (possible failure imminent)?

Get you computer expert to review the Event Logs (use the even viewer).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #455
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Set the Text Padding to 0 to reduce the spacing (on the Dimensions tab).
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm still not satisfied . If I reduce the padding, the title and the author become indistinguishable from each other.
The attached cover shows what I'd like to see even with the use of linebreaks. I set the text padding to 40 and used no linebreaks.

Firedancer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	113505  
Firedancer885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #456
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would suggest just using the Custom Text as a "spacer", placing it between the Title/Author and changing its font size to vary the amount.

However it seems the way I implemented that feature I deliberately don't try to draw the custom text unless you have some actual text in there (and not even a space counts as text as I strip spaces off).

If you want to give this a try, you can use the version of the plugin attached to this post. I am not going to bother properly releasing it unless others decide they prefer the behaviour. Basically it means that if you don't want the custom text to take space up on the title, then you have to make sure you uncheck it in the list on that tab, as now a blank line will always appear for it with it ticked even with no custom text specified.

The only other option would be to introduce some sort of "Multi-line text spacing" option. However that adds a whole bunch of complexity that frankly I don't want to have to deal with. And since no-one else has sasked for such an option in several years of this plugin I am inclined to not add it myself...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Generate Cover.zip (164.0 KB, 216 views)
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #457
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you want to give this a try, you can use the version of the plugin attached to this post. I am not going to bother properly releasing it unless others decide they prefer the behaviour. Basically it means that if you don't want the custom text to take space up on the title, then you have to make sure you uncheck it in the list on that tab, as now a blank line will always appear for it with it ticked even with no custom text specified.
Thanks
Firedancer885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #458
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I haven't read through the entire thread (shoot me if you will) for the answer to my question, but is there a way to automagically embed date properties in the custom text field so my customized news cover generates the date as the default news cover does?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pocket1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	116346   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	116347  
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #459
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread (shoot me if you will) for the answer to my question, but is there a way to automagically embed date properties in the custom text field so my customized news cover generates the date as the default news cover does?
It is not obvious, but putting a standard field template into Custom Text (and ticking the box to use the field) works
eg {date}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #460
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is not obvious, but putting a standard field template into Custom Text (and ticking the box to use the field) works
eg {date}
Thanks! And the other one I was looking for {last_modified}.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #461
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
eg {date}
Not obvious to some but to others it's bleedin'ly so seeing that it's in Post #1

Quote:
Main Features of v1.5.14:

Add/remove your own images to a list to choose from when you generate
Option to use the existing book cover as an embedded image
Control which metadata to display and where it is located on the cover
Option to swap author name for users who store it in Calibre as LN, FN
Fine tune many aspects of cover appearance such as fonts, borders, colors and margins
Save your customised settings under a name to quickly recall multiple different appearances
Export your settings for sharing and import settings from other users
Option to use an image as a background rather than a content item

Option to add custom text to a cover, using Calibre's template language to place your choice of additional data on the cover

Option to auto-size text to fit on a single line for long text
I would not have known that if Mini-Mouse hadn't told me Also see this post

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #462
copyrite
Wizard

Thank heavens for those that point out the obvious to the oblivious.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #463
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Thank heavens for those that point out the obvious to the oblivious.
Within a day of Mini-Mouse telling me about it, I forgot what she wrote - I've since replaced line 1232 in dialogs.py with

Code:
        custom_groupbox = QGroupBox('Custom Text:   Templates Allowed', self)
Hence it's no longer banished to obscurity within my dysfunctional memory

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #464
MsBarrows
MsBarrows began at the beginning.

Really loving this plug-in, most of the ebooks I have are fanfiction and come without covers, so I've been creating covers for them using it. I keep running into a recurring problem though where modifying the value for the left margin causes unexpected changes in the right margin. For example on the attached cover I wanted the title to be occupying the upper right corner of the cover, and increasing the left margin to force the title to wrap at a visually pleasing point made the right margin display as a much wider blank space than it had been before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenShot_004.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	116789  
MsBarrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #465
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
today() in content

I don't seem to be able to include today's date in the content of my cover without first creating a custom column [program: format_date(today(),'dd MMM yyyy')] first. Why can't I just use {today()} in the content?

Of course I also don't want it the same type size as the rest of the content so if anyone has any thoughts on that too; please.
rracoon01 is offline   Reply With Quote