Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #46
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
No, I did not "clean" a partition . I just made a copy of all my books before resetting it.

Last edited by aceflor; 12-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #47
Maikax
Maikax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad 1y.... ¡Kindle Paperwhite!
¡Olé Olé y Olé!

Muchas gracias IXTAB

Saludos cordiales
Maikax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #48
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
EDIT: See two posts below before attempting this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
5.3.0, which updated while I had my WiFi on, before that I had a jailbroken 5.2.0 with ixtab Collections Manager on it.

I will now empty my Kindle, reset it, and try again.
Resetting the Kindle won't help. I'm afraid that there is something wrong with your diags partition, but I don't know what that is. And since you're the only person reporting that sort of problem, I'll need your help.

The good news is that everything before went through correctly, so your device actually is jailbroken - it's just a small part of the "rescue pack" that screwed up.

So: please install the usbnetwork package and log into your Kindle. Then perform the following commands:

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
ls -la /mnt/mmc/etc/shad*
cp -f /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow.before_rescue_pack
And post the output here.

It is the second-last command that is failing in the installer, but I don't know why (it shouldn't fail). Maybe the output of the above commands can shed some light on this

Last edited by ixtab; 12-04-2012 at 08:02 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The "-f" option can fail, depending on permissions and/or version/patches of busybox.
Once you can duplicate the problem, try it without the "-f" option. It should "just work".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #50
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "-f" option can fail, depending on permissions and/or version/patches of busybox.
Once you can duplicate the problem, try it without the "-f" option. It should "just work".
It's NiLuJe's fault

I just noticed that he was using cp -f in his scripts, so I decided to do so as well

But yeah, from the man page: "-f, --force: if an existing destination file cannot be opened, remove it and try again".

So you're suggesting to just replace all the "cp -f" by simple "cp" commands? Seems reasonable. They're not supposed to fail, with or without -f, anyway... and if -f can cause more problems than it solves...

@aceflor: maybe you can actually try that. Please use the attached file (remove the .txt extension after downloading!) instead of the original jailbreak.sh, and report back.

Edit: attachment removed, was useless anyway

Last edited by ixtab; 12-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aye Aye Sir ! Will do in a minute or two.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #52
aceflor
Wizard

Nope, sorry, the same Jailbreak Log again.

I will have use the usbnetwork, but as I never done that with a kindle, I'll have to read carefully the infos I find so it will not take me a minute or two.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #53
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
In omnia paratus
At least you will be ready for "one more" thing once you have the USBnet working
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #54
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
At least you will be ready for "one more" thing once you have the USBnet working
Note to self : change the sig to "What do I know, I only use my brain to keep my ears apart"....
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #55
sk83
sk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
How to remove jailbreak?

Hi, this is a repost, I was told to post in the right thread

Is there a method for reverting a jailbroken PW to stock, non-jailbroken state?

My PW was first jailbroken on 5.2.0, then updated to 5.3.0 and jailbroken again with ixtabs newly released jailbreak.

Thanks
sk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #56
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk83 View Post
Hi, this is a repost, I was told to post in the right thread

Is there a method for reverting a jailbroken PW to stock, non-jailbroken state?

My PW was first jailbroken on 5.2.0, then updated to 5.3.0 and jailbroken again with ixtabs newly released jailbreak.

Thanks
There is no uninstaller for this jailbreak (yet?).

But essentially, you simply have to undo all the files and directories creation. You can do that using usbnetwork - just remove all created files and directories, except for /etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem. Then uninstall usbnetwork, and finally run the uninstaller: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._the_jailbreak
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
aceflor
Wizard

I cannot log into my PW, I get an ip error. Now is not the right time for me to be experimenting a lot, as I have little time to put into this. I'll leave it at that and will wait for either next week-end or at worst the holidays, when I have more time, to retry it.

Last edited by aceflor; 12-04-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #58
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
I cannot log into my PW, I get an ip error. Now is not the right time for me to be experimenting a lot, as I have little time to put into this. I'll leave it at that and will wait for either next week-end or at worst the holidays, when I have more time, to retry it.
Ah. I suspect this is a config error.

without getting too deep, it's easy to not set it up right the first time. (The PC side)

when you have some time give the threads on that a read.
(the Readme also is effusive)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #59
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
EDIT: See two posts below before attempting this.

Resetting the Kindle won't help. I'm afraid that there is something wrong with your diags partition, but I don't know what that is. And since you're the only person reporting that sort of problem, I'll need your help.

The good news is that everything before went through correctly, so your device actually is jailbroken - it's just a small part of the "rescue pack" that screwed up.

So: please install the usbnetwork package and log into your Kindle. Then perform the following commands:

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
cp -f /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow.before_rescue_pack
And post the output here.

It is the second-last command that is failing in the installer, but I don't know why (it shouldn't fail). Maybe the output of the above commands can shed some light on this

here you go :
Quote:
[root@kindle root]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
mount: /dev/mmcblk0p2 already mounted or /mnt/mmc busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/mmcblk0p2 is already mounted on /mnt/mmc
[root@kindle root]# ls -la /mnt/mmc/etc/shad*
ls: /mnt/mmc/etc/shad*: No such file or directory
[root@kindle root]# cp -f /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow.before_rescue_
pack
cp: can't stat '/mnt/mmc/etc/shadow': No such file or directory
[root@kindle root]#
So, does that help you figure out what I did wrong ?

And Twobob : , but I just can't figure out why I could not access the kindle. I redid what I did before and this time it worked. It was silent around me, that might have done the trick. Did not go over wifi though.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #60
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
here you go :

So, does that help you figure out what I did wrong ?

And Twobob : , but I just can't figure out why I could not access the kindle. I redid what I did before and this time it worked. It was silent around me, that might have done the trick. Did not go over wifi though.
Yes (it will, because I can read it) -

Code:
[root@kindle root]# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
mount: /dev/mmcblk0p2 already mounted or /mnt/mmc busy
No need to go any further than that,

@ixtab:
The diags. partition is already mounted.
Either an earlier un-mount command was missing (or more likely) had not yet completed.
Reasons for the un-mount not to have completed:

The script had written something to the diags partition, but the writes had not competed (eMMC writes slower than the script runs).

The script still had a file open on the diags partition (or the diags partition was the current directory).

What to do about it (will take a bit of testing since Busybox may not behave the same as the full umount command) -

In sections of the script (since it has section selection, it probably has compete open, do-something, close sequences).

Where the script now has: "umount ..." commands -
Which will fail if writes have not completed, do -

mount -o remount /mnt/mmc
**OR**
mount -o remount /dev/mmcblk0p2

(Depending on which it the problem - blk0p2 still mounted or /mnt/mmc still busy).

NOTE: There is no option following the remount command, that is not a typo! Used
without a "ro" or "rw" option to the remount command will cause all buffered writes to complete.
AND the command will block (not return) until the eMMC catches up.

Once that special version of the mount command (completes and) returns, THEN issue the umount command.

*** At least that is the expected behavior of full version of umount ***
*** If the Kpw doesn't have the full version, you will have to test if the Busybox version behaves the same. ***

Code:
mount: according to mtab, /dev/mmcblk0p2 is already mounted on /mnt/mmc
[root@kindle root]# cp -f /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow /mnt/mmc/etc/shadow.before_rescue_
pack
cp: can't stat '/mnt/mmc/etc/shadow': No such file or directory
[root@kindle root]#

Last edited by knc1; 12-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote