Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq161 View Post
I know, take your time. I was just surprised how easy and flawlessly the jailbreak worked as it was released today

"Easy" and "flawlessly" are good words. Of course, the jailbreak *procedure* is meant to be as simple and intuitive as it can be, because it should be usable by everyone.

But the effort to get there was anything but easy or flawless. There is a reason why it took almost a month to come up with that method. I'm not going to disclose the details publicly, but rest assured that the Paperwhite is extremely difficult to crack, and that I was about to give up more than once.

Just because the jailbreak method is easy to understand doesn't mean that it was easy to find. In fact, finding this jailbreak method was the most difficult venture I ever tackled.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #32
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
I, for one, appreciate your work immensely! I really had thought you'd given up.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thx Bros!!

Good job !! I'd like to see those ads but I really want to enhance my device.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Thank you so much!! I uninstalled the previous jailbreak and hacks and this one went flawlessly. USE_ALT_FONTS is working well, too. Happy dance!!
USE_ALT_FONTS works on 5.3.0 even without jailbreak.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, I must say that it was fun doing it through the serial port, but I'm glad that the software-only hack is back so that more people can enjoy it. Great work!
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #36
iluvllulu
iluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with othersiluvllulu plays well with others

Device: kindle 3
thank you so much! i was about to give up on my paperwhite and buy the kobo glo. you just made my day!
iluvllulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #37
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
ixtab, though I have abandoned Kindle altogether, I'd still like to congratulate you on your achievement!
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #38
cristbo
Uno mas
cristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle PaperWhite
Grande el Maestro ;-))

Ahora con más ganas de que me llegue

Cheers!
Crist
cristbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #39
back2iam
back2iam began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite2
Congratulation! I appreciate your work. Thank you.
back2iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #40
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This is indeed an unexpected failure. The relevant part is in line 332 of jailbreak.sh:

Code:
cp -f "$current" "$backup" && log "Backed up diags passwords to ${backup_relative} on diags partition" || fail "Failed to backup original diags passwords"
It seems like the cp command failed - but it really, really shouldn't, and I have no idea why it did. Does anybody have a clue?

@aceflor: do you keep getting this error every time? As said, you can re-install the jailbreak as many times as you want. Maybe the failure just miraculously goes away on the second attempt...
Yep, I keep getting this error every time.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Yep, I keep getting this error every time.
What firmware version?

@ixtab: Did the build of busybox change between 5.2 and 5.3?
"Change" as in: Not bitwise identical binaries.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #42
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.3.0, which updated while I had my WiFi on, before that I had a jailbroken 5.2.0 with ixtab Collections Manager on it.

I will now empty my Kindle, reset it, and try again.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Just to add, thank's ixtab. I wasn't in the position of needing this at the moment, due to being on 5.2.0 and then using NiJuLe's bridge to move to 5.3.0.

However I've flashed it anyway, just in case I could bring any further information forward to help. Flashed without a problem and perfectly. Well, minor problem it took a few tries to get my finger to recognise, but the screen does say it might.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #44
aceflor
Wizard

Still Failed after emptying it, resetting it and trying to Jailbreak it again.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #45
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not sure what you mean by "emptying", but my suspicion is that you cleaned your document partition. There was no need to do that in the first place and it likely won't help. As described above, probably your settings partition is full. How that happened is still open for speculation, but yes, it can happen. But you cannot access it via USB mass storage, and I'm not sure if I should really suggest USB networking since that requires you to know very well what you are doing with the shell access.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote