Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I know several people who have never used a Windows Phone and they think it's crap...
I've used their windows ce since 2+, I think the pen system is the best. However it has always been a buggy platform. The performance always degraded over time. I feel it's windows registry system.

However I've used Blackberry and Android since and the think they are much better and stable.

I know W7 is suppose to be leaps and bounds better, I'll have to keep my eye on them and see.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
WP7 does not properly support SDHC cards, this is a show-stopper for me.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #18
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I know several people who have never used a Windows Phone and they think it's crap...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be several close minded people right?
You would never hear that about Apple products from Windows users
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #19
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
No, you wouldn't.

There's a lot of love there.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It would be interesting if as the processing power and display capabilities keep
increasing, microsoft could bring it to a point where the legacy (DOS, Win95) programs
would be functional on these phones and other mobile devices. ( Emulators eat up
resources and come with their own constraints.)

A real general purpose OS on mobile devices.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I foresee a long, slow, painful, and expensive climb for Microsoft in the mobile market before it achieves anything like parity with the aforementioned Big Three.
True. However, unlike HP and webOS, Microsoft can afford to to duke it out for the long haul with Apple and Google.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've been a long-time WM fan, and have only recently converted to an Android fanatic. Son #2 picked a WP7 phone as his upgrade instead of going with Android with son #1 and I. We also have an iPhone 4 in the house.

WM worked fine but was stale; it was clear that it had reached an end-of-life when WP7 was finally announced. iOS does what it promises, but I have a healthy dislike for its fanatically closed systems. I'd held off on switching to Android for some time, waiting for a more mature product. Froyo held that promise and when the HTC Inspire was released I bought the first one in the store -- and I love it with all my heart.

But you know what? The kid's WP7 phone is the most stable phone in our house! It never, ever crashes. It goes for weeks without being rebooted (try that on WM!). It never drops calls, never loses wifi or GPS connections (poke at Android), it doesn't lose signal when you hold it with you entire hand (yes, iPhone; talking to you) and it just plain works all the time.

I'm not a fan myself. I don't care much for the look and feel of WP7, and I don't like the closed ecosystem (ala Apple). But yeh, it sure is stable!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
I don't care much for the look and feel of WP7
Based on the number of Android apps that have "stolen" the Metro look & feel, somebody in Android-likes it

Some go farther than others, like Launcher 7 basically reskinning Android to look exactly like WP7. But even Google is getting on the Metro bandwagon with their latest Market redesign (left/right swiping "pivots").

I personally have an HTC HD7S and switched from an old iPhone 3GS. The girlfriend is firmly in the Android camp and loves her Infuse, but she was actually surprised that my WP7 phone had such great call quality (better than Android and iOS). I'm chomping at the bit for Mango and trying to convince the girlfriend to switch, but she's not willing to do so until WP7's Yelp app supports checkins.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I have a WM6 smartphone, company supplied, IPhone4 which is a personal phone, had an android phone and a nokia with symbian. Of these the worst was the WM6 phone. The IPhone is the best, android went through a battery charge daily, the nokia was the best for calls. After this I would take a lot of persuading to go to another windows phone. I have used windows since WinCE on PDA's up to WM6 and loved it, but as a phone OS it just didn't work for me. The phone side seemed something of an afterthought.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Stonetools, I agree with you in principle but Microsoft was at the party way before Android or iOS. The early Windows Mobile phones were crap, that's all. I had one for a day and went back to a Palm OS phone (Kyocera 7135) which was only slightly less crappy.

You're right that MS has to understand the ecosystem means as much or more than the hardware but they are teamed up with Nokia right now. I don't count Nokia out of the game. They've been #1 in the world (ordinary cellphones) for a long time.

On the other hand, I view Research in Motion as a dead man walking. Too little, too late. Enterprise? That's their last bastion but several companies I know, mine included, already made the corporate switch to iPhones. Never underestimate the power of executive gadget-lust.

I'll give you another reason to chose MS. They rarely get their first versions working well but they've completely wrecked their competition many times in the long run. I used to be a big fan of DBase II, Ami Pro, Word Perfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Paradox, Quattro Pro, Builder & Turbo languages and so many more non-MS products. They ALL withered and died while Bill Gates grew fat off the land. I bet on the wrong horse more than a few times.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #26
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The problem Mr Penforhire is Bill Gates is not running MS anymore. Bill Gates was a visionary, a direction setter, and so far no one has stepped up that can take over for him. Apple is about to face the same problem with the loss of Steve Jobs. Like them or hate them, those 2 men largely built the computer world we have today.

XBox came from behind and did well, but many other products in recend days have not (Zune for example).

Android is the best OS out there (for tech stand point), but Apple has the best ecosystem. RIM I agree is dead man walking unless they can make a big change soon.

Personally I think the big mistake MS is making is they are targeting the wrong crowd. They should take enterprise first. That has traditionally been their strongest area of dominance, and both Android and iOS are weak in this area. Most corps would love to drop RIM, at least I have never met any that are happy with Blackberry's servers.

Time will tell...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #27
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Personally I think the big mistake MS is making is they are targeting the wrong crowd. They should take enterprise first. That has traditionally been their strongest area of dominance, and both Android and iOS are weak in this area. Most corps would love to drop RIM, at least I have never met any that are happy with Blackberry's servers.
Honestly? That kind of thinking is exactly why so many consumer-focused Microsoft products don't do well. For example, look at Windows Home Server (WHS). The first version was awesome. It was squarely targeted at the consumer market, had some brilliant advertising (the "Why is there a Server in the House?" kids book, the Genie ads, etc), some awesome drive expansion features, etc. Then Microsoft decided to merge the Small Business Server (SBS) and WHS teams and suddenly they couldn't care less about the consumer market. The Drive Extender feature was cut because it didn't work well in the enterprise, even though it was almost perfect for home use. Media Center integration was cut. Consumer device partners were driven away. The end result is that WHS 2011 is a dead product explicitly because Microsoft decided to target the enterprise with a consumer device.

Smartphones are inherently consumer devices these days. They're much more about playing games, using apps, and surfing the web than they are about corporate communication or email checking. In this market, if you go enterprise-first you end up like RIM, teetering on the brink, at risk of toppling over the edge at the slightest breeze.

Or, if tl;dr, how about this: Microsoft tried targeting the enterprise in the phone space, and that didn't work out for them. That's why Windows Mobile is dead and Windows Phone lives. As long as the phone has Exchange support and remote wipe, that's sufficient for 99% of enterprise use.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote