Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Kobo usb cables

Another thread about travelling with multiple electronic devices got me thinking.

Has anyone else noticed that the USB cable for the kobo touch differs from the original kobo one?

Why did they do this? I now have ANOTHER cable to get mixed up and tied up in knots: chinscratch:
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Another thread about travelling with multiple electronic devices got me thinking.

Has anyone else noticed that the USB cable for the kobo touch differs from the original kobo one?

Why did they do this? I now have ANOTHER cable to get mixed up and tied up in knots: chinscratch:
Well, the USB cable for my Android smartphone works with my Kobo Touch so maybe Kobo is moving to some sort of standard for mini-USB cables.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
My Kobo touch and Kindle 3 USB cables are the same.

They are called micro USB.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
bluesgirl1976
bluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo touch/Kobo wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post

I thought the exact thing. I have had to start labeling the drawer full of USB cables and chargers! Not to sound like a complete dork but I have a personal label maker and if you just wrap around cord you can at least identify them quickly. Now I still have to undo the knots
bluesgirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
the only good thing about the kobo wifi new (flat) usb, as i call it since it's so thin, is that my phone uses the same one wooo now i can leave one in my pc and have one to carry around if i have these devices with me.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Since most phones and handset device now use Micro-usb, Kobo witching to that format benefits from all the existing cables and chargers out there. No need to label all your Mini-usb (kobo and Kobo wifi) and Micro Usb (KT, Sonly 350/650, Kindle 3, Sonly PSP, Blackberries, cell phones, etc.). They are standard and universally interchangeable.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I bought one of these so I can carry one standard mini-USB cable for all my devices: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-us...keychain-35005
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Mini USB we are stuck with it. They are used because thinner taking up less space in device. They are not rated for as many insertions before failure. That's progress.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Mini USB we are stuck with it. They are used because thinner taking up less space in device. They are not rated for as many insertions before failure. That's progress.
It's not 'mini', it's 'micro' usb. The mini is the previous gen connector.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
My statement is wrong. >> Note that the adapter FJames mentions is only for charging and not for data transfer.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-10-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Wrong
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Note that the adapter FJames mentions is only for charging and not for data transfer.
Not so. Mini and micro USB use the same 5 contacts, and the adapter I mentioned connects all 5. I have used it for data transfer with the Kobo Touch.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Not so. Mini and micro USB use the same 5 contacts, and the adapter I mentioned connects all 5. I have used it for data transfer with the Kobo Touch.
Ahh, now that's good to know. The impression I received from the web page was wrong then.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Trouble is my camera and my cell phone use proprietary connectors. So I still need to drag those cables with.

Later - Poking about on eBay showed some retractable mini and micro USB cables as well as one for my cell phone. For about $1.12 or so including shipping each I decided to get those instead to throw into my laptop bag. Once I've tested them of course.

Mind you being the paranoid individual I am I'll probably put the longer cables in my luggage just-in-case.

Last edited by TonyToews; 07-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Hey all found a retractable usb cable that had both micro and mini usb for 14.95 at walmart. Thought that some of you may be interested.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Trouble is my camera and my cell phone use proprietary connectors. So I still need to drag those cables with.

Later - Poking about on eBay showed some retractable mini and micro USB cables as well as one for my cell phone. For about $1.12 or so including shipping each I decided to get those instead to throw into my laptop bag. Once I've tested them of course.

Mind you being the paranoid individual I am I'll probably put the longer cables in my luggage just-in-case.
Actually I always carry on that stuff on now since I had air canada loose my luggage because they couldnt be bothered to transfer it to the next plane.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote