Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Why can't I search for B&N??

I thought I read a post recently about a problem with the latest B&N software upgrade, but I am having NO LUCK with our search engine. It won't allow me to search for B&N, BN, BN.com...

...what's up with that?!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I suspect the & ... otherwise the others are too short....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is correct. Minimum is 3 characters for performance reasons, and the ampersand & is treated as a boolean operator.

We plan to integrate Google search as an alternative way to search the forums.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you manage to find the source you were searching for ?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you kidding?

I was looking for "B&N software upgrade" or "B&N upgrade". There are MILLIONS of "software" and/or "upgrade" comments on the forum. I'm just giving up on upgrading the B&N software until someone else comments on that d@mn thread or makes a new one.
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Maybe try "nook upgrade"?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
GeoffC

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66261
Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
FizzyWater

Thanks for the suggestion, Worldwalker, and the link, GeoffC. But it's not the Nook firmware upgrade I was looking for.

What I remember (and I'm going to admit up front my memory is sometimes...wonky!) is a post about the B&N software (desktop) upgrade making the eReader app stop working. Since most of my DRM'd collection is eReader, I don't want that to happen.

I should have subscribed to the thread when I saw it...and it may turn out what I read either wasn't about B&N's software or had nothing to do with eReader. It's just what my mind keeps telling me I "saw somewhere".
Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Worldwalker, and the link, GeoffC. But it's not the Nook firmware upgrade I was looking for.

What I remember (and I'm going to admit up front my memory is sometimes...wonky!) is a post about the B&N software (desktop) upgrade making the eReader app stop working. Since most of my DRM'd collection is eReader, I don't want that to happen.

I should have subscribed to the thread when I saw it...and it may turn out what I read either wasn't about B&N's software or had nothing to do with eReader. It's just what my mind keeps telling me I "saw somewhere".

Trust me, I have the same feelings a day or so after I needed the info I first saw. The search engine here occasionally leaves a lot to be desired ....

I'll keep fingers crossed for your success .....
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
if you can remember some specific words, you could try them. Or you could use google, only for the site of mobilered
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #11
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
if you can remember some specific words, you could try them. Or you could use google, only for the site of mobilered
To expand on what LCF said, you can use the "site" operator with google to restrict a google search to www.mobileread.com.

For instance, searching for "B&N site: www.mobileread.com" using google will yeild this result:

http://www.google.com/search?q=B%26N...x=&startPage=1
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMd View Post
To expand on what LCF said, you can use the "site" operator with google to restrict a google search to www.mobileread.com.

For instance, searching for "B&N site: www.mobileread.com" using google will yeild this result:

http://www.google.com/search?q=B%26N...x=&startPage=1
Okay, LCF and ForceMd, now this is awesome! I never knew you could narrow Google down like that.

I learn something new here every day!

Karma to both of you for my new knowledge.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
FizzyWater

Well, I tried the technique's offered by LCF and ForceMd and couldn't find anything that matched what I thought I remember...

...so now I'm left with "do I upgrade, and assume my memory is faulty?" or "do I not upgrade, because I just couldn't remember good terms to use in my search?!" Yeesh, I hate getting old!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Okay, LCF and ForceMd, now this is awesome! I never knew you could narrow Google down like that.

I learn something new here every day!

Karma to both of you for my new knowledge.

Marilyn
Check the Google help page -- it's got a whole collection of useful things like that, such as various sorts of search restrictions. It will save your sanity when Google cheerfully informs you that it's found five million hits on your current search term.

There's also advanced search, with a form that can manage some of those for you.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Might this possibly be the thread you thought you saw?

Another poster and I were kind of complaining back and forth about B&N's recent switchover to ePub-only downloads, which didn't work with the PDB-only eReader app on his or her favoured device and kept crashing my Mac desktop version of B&N's software (which they were promising to upgrade to take care of the issue), and it seems similar enough that maybe the two separate incompatibilities got conflated in your memory.

Of course, if that's not it at all, maybe you could borrow someone else's computer long enough to do a sacrificial test install of the two apps to see if one kills the other.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote