Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Samjax
Samjax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Used Sony 505 for $150 or buy new?

I am getting hooked on the e-reading experience. Problem is, I've been doing it all on my T-Mobile Android G1. The G1 screen is only 3" or so, and as I am a fast reader, the constant page turning is a pain. Also, the battery life takes a hit since it is backlit.

I have found a 4 month old "excellent" condition Sony 505 in silver for $150 here locally. It comes with the internal memory only, which I believe is 256mb.

Is that a good way to go for the money? Or should I look at the new jetbook for a bit less money? Or go with a new Aluratek Libre Pro with 2 gb included memory for $20 more? Or finally, a new Sony 300 for around $50 more?

I am currently searching the forums...it seems that the 505 is held in very high regard, although to my knowledge it only provides 3 font sizes, which is a potential concern I have, in that the fonts may not be large enough.

My laptop has Calibre on it, I assume that will work with any of the above?

Thanks
Samjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
505 is great and internal memory is good on its own without memory stick. if you buy it and later decide you dont like it (unlikely) you will get more than the asking price for it on ebay. the font issue is not a problem there are plenty of posts on here on how to change this to suit

Last edited by dogsballs; 02-22-2010 at 04:20 AM.
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NewEgg.com sell jetBook-Lite for $115 now. You can buy 2GB SD card for $6-$7 on the same website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjax View Post
I am getting hooked on the e-reading experience. Problem is, I've been doing it all on my T-Mobile Android G1. The G1 screen is only 3" or so, and as I am a fast reader, the constant page turning is a pain. Also, the battery life takes a hit since it is backlit.

I have found a 4 month old "excellent" condition Sony 505 in silver for $150 here locally. It comes with the internal memory only, which I believe is 256mb.

Is that a good way to go for the money? Or should I look at the new jetbook for a bit less money? Or go with a new Aluratek Libre Pro with 2 gb included memory for $20 more? Or finally, a new Sony 300 for around $50 more?

I am currently searching the forums...it seems that the 505 is held in very high regard, although to my knowledge it only provides 3 font sizes, which is a potential concern I have, in that the fonts may not be large enough.

My laptop has Calibre on it, I assume that will work with any of the above?

Thanks
Snap it up!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Samjax
Samjax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many thanks for the input.

Here's what I ended up doing. Due to a real need to be able to "highlight" while I'm reading, I went with a new Special Edition Sony PRS-600 bundle in black which came with a black Sony reader cover and light. The Sony website only shows that bundle in red, but this particular place had the exact same bundle in black, so I grabbed it.

I did play around with the Nook at our local B&N prior to buying the Sony. At least for my needs, I think the Sony will be a better fit. Hopefully it was a good choice.
Samjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert