Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #31
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
You know, another comment on folders. I am doing a trial of the WSJ and it is huge and organized with hierarchial folders and very easy to use......so they can do it now?
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieReader View Post
I like their latest upgrade, PDF is better and now flows if you convert.

The folders issue came up just now, as I got on the forum to figure out how to organize all my PDF docs. "Flat" is correct and very frustrating. I am still in the 'return' period on the DX and wondered if anyone else out there does folders better?
Yes.... PDF is better since the Kindle couldn't display PDF files at all before the upgrade They were converted into a different format.

Or did you mean the PDF conversion has improved? I've just used Mobipocket Creator and calibre so far, as it was my impression that that was better than Amazon's conversion.

The Hanlin devices (BeBook and Astak brands) and the iRex readers do folders. The Sony devices uses tagging for displaying in 'collections'.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I read somewhere that Jeff Bezos, owner of Amazon, has some hardcore aversion to the folder system. If true that would seem to imply a tagging system is the likely candidate. This would be unfortunate IMO since I own few Amazon ebooks and tons of mobi/prn ebooks that, apparently, I would have to tag myself, one by one.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #34
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
Yes, you are right, Ea. I got out my Sony 505 and Irex Iliad and both do tags and folders pretty well. You would think, as NormHart points out that Bezos would do something, since any business model that has customers buying a lot of his stuff would surely anticipate hundreds of books, as well as docs on his Kindles......of course I'm from the Midwest and gravitate towards common sense.....
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieReader View Post
Yes, you are right, Ea. I got out my Sony 505 and Irex Iliad and both do tags and folders pretty well. You would think, as NormHart points out that Bezos would do something, since any business model that has customers buying a lot of his stuff would surely anticipate hundreds of books, as well as docs on his Kindles......of course I'm from the Midwest and gravitate towards common sense.....
*G* One should think so. I would like to keep some reference documents on it, and recipes, and fan fiction, that's three folders right there, apart from the fiction books. The tech books go on the DR1000 though. I'm looking forward to the day when tech books get formatted for reflowing to fit a wider range of smaller screen sizes.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I read somewhere that Jeff Bezos, owner of Amazon, has some hardcore aversion to the folder system. If true that would seem to imply a tagging system is the likely candidate. This would be unfortunate IMO since I own few Amazon ebooks and tons of mobi/prn ebooks that, apparently, I would have to tag myself, one by one.

You can download tags in Calibre - pretty slick.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Any idea if this update will be for both K1 and K2? I'd hate to see us poor K1 users left out in the cold.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote