Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex Open Community Development

iRex Community Manager Karel has posted a message at the iRex forums regarding a more open developer community similar to that of the Maemo platform (the development platform that the Nokia tablets run).

To me, the most interesting part is this:
Quote:
We would support this project and provide all the necessary tools and websites (website, forum, blog, wiki, subversion...) and could offer additional resources and services (e.g. development samples, developer discounts, bounty system, unreleased source codes, etc ...).
I think this is a great project. iRex has typically had a hands off approach to 3rd party development. In the past, they've given us the bare essentials on what is needed to start developing for the iLiad. More documentation, code, help, etc would be great!

So c'mon developers, let's go to that thread and show them our interest!
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
You are soo fast Adam, i just wanted to post it aswell.

I think this is a very good idea and i hope it gets started rather sooner than later.

BTW, i want a serach inside PDFs and a better, fatser contentLister
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
You are soo fast Adam, i just wanted to post it as well.
What can I say, I browse these forums with stalker like qualities.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Of course, the "website, forum, blog, wiki, subversion..." part they could all find here. Well except for the subversion, but that'd be easy to add if interest arises. In the beginning they wanted to join us, but then someone from high up at iRex management set no.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Quote:

BTW, i want a serach inside PDFs and a better, fatser contentLister
What is contentlister?
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
drkool
drkool began at the beginning.

Device: irex illiad
All I wanna say is that I am glad I chose the illiad....it was a stretch......too expensive.....now irex had made it all worthwhile. I think the illiad is going to easily stay the best e-book reader out there for a long long while...and this action today will be the reason.

phew....sorry for the tirade...I am just so moved...
drkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
What is contentlister?
Thats the main item lister, which shows only 6 items per page and not enough information on files. I would like to see something like this:

Something the community could very well do. Aswell as larger title image files like on the Cybook and much more

Last edited by tribble; 12-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Uhhhuhh did I MISS something here???

Tribble: How comes your contentlister has so many entries????

I need this so bad...

Or am I completely wrong here

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Nice mockups Tribble. (If that's what they are!)
You're right, this is badly needed.

To be honest, having seen images of the Cybook navigation, I can't help but think the whole of the iLiad interface could do with overhauling. The Cybook drop-down menu style of navigation, without leaving the current page, seems like a much much MUCH better navigation solution for slow refreshing e-ink screens.

But yes, how irritating is it when your current book drops off the "recent documents" page just because you clicked a few links to look at a webpage.
6 entries is not nearly enough.
Usability, usability, usability.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I really love your ideas tribble.

It's true that unlike the other readers, you can imagine all sorts of possibilities to browse your content, without mapping them to a button or putting them in a menu. Tabs might be a good idea ?

I also like the idea of displaying the reading status of a book. It should be really easy to see which books you haven't read yet, or how far in the book you've been.

The way the Sony Reader deals with its bookmarks is fantastic: the ability to have on the same screen all of the bookmarks is a great way to switch between books.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Quote:
Thats the main item lister, which shows only 6 items per page and not enough information on files. I would like to see something like this:
Something the community could very well do. Aswell as larger title image files like on the Cybook and much more
So is that a mock up or some hack that you have done....?

DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Unfortunately those are just mockups
I hope that the developer project will give us something like that though.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
This is great news. As a teacher I have imagined how good the Iliad would be as a student notebook and textbook device. As a teacher I want one for myself.

Given the stylus, could not their be a teachers' addition, that could could not only be used to take the roll but also send it to administration?

Could not essays and tests be sent and collected electronically?
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #14
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Hey tribble, your photos of Contentlister mockup are pretty old [firmware 2.4 something?]. I have seen them ages ago here on MR.
But some dreams come never true. Contentlister is still closed software.

I have voted "Yes - I want this." in Karel's thread.

Last edited by yokos; 12-04-2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Hey != Hey tribble
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes please on Content Lister upgrades! I'd also like to be able to configure "soft buttons" that go to my favorite applications, e.g. FBReader. And I'd like to be able to switch between multiple (or at least 2) open apps, specifically Notes and either ipdf or FBReader.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote