Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
A Couple of (Kindle 2) Questions

I just placed an order for a K2.

But, I'd love to confirm that:

1. When I purchase an ebook from the Kindle store, I will be able to strip its DRM so I can share it with my Iliad; and

2. The Search function works for PDFs.

Anyone able to do that?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
#1. If you have mobiDeDRM.py 0.04 or 0.05 and the eBooks are in AZW format, then you should be able to strip the DRM. But you'll also need to search the forum to find the Python program to get the Kindle's PID so you can strip the DRM.

#2. The Kindle 1 & 2 do not support PDF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Your pdf files will be converted to .azw (.mobi) and will be searchable in that form. If your pdf files are heavy on charts, graphs and tables the conversion won't be so hot. If they are mostly text, you'll be good to go. Use your iLiad for the complicated types of pdfs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... #2. The Kindle 1 & 2 do not support PDF.
Thanks, JSWolf.

Argh, I just glanced at the Kindle 2 page and noticed PDF among the supported formats..., but the ones they'll convert for you for a small fee :-(

Bummer, does it at least support well HTML (into which I can convert my PDFs?)
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
When I purchase an ebook from the Kindle store, I will be able to strip its DRM so I can share it with my Iliad
Yes, provided it is an .AZW file. A few ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which can't be stripped of its DRM. If an ebook page at Amazon does not list the ebook filesize in bytes, then it is probably a TOPAZ file. Or you can download the sample to be certain. TOPAZ ebooks usually have the .azw1 filename extension.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There is no fee for conversion. There is a fee for of 10 cents transferring the converted file via whispernet. To date *no one* has been charged the fee. You also have the option of having the converted file sent back to you via email and you can transfer it to the Kindle yourself with the USB cable.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I just glanced at the Kindle 2 page and noticed PDF among the supported formats..., but the ones they'll convert for you for a small fee :-(

Bummer, does it at least support well HTML (into which I can convert my PDFs?)
The Kindle essentially only supports MOBI (it also reads TXT and single-file HTML renamed .txt). You can get Amazon to convert other files to this format via e-mail. This is free, but if you use whispernet to download it to your Kindle it in theory costs $0.10.

There is generally no need to do this. Calibre converts many formats (including PDF) to MOBI and so does Windows MobiPocket Reader and Creator. HTML converts ok to MOBI, and any PDF to MOBI starts with PDF to HTML.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Sonist
Apeist

Thanks, MOBI is actually perfect, since this is what I now load onto my Iliad BE, and I can just use the same files on the Kindle then. As well as go the other way for books purchased from Amazon.

I suppose I will have to avoid any Topaz books.

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And once you strip the DRM from the AZW eBooks, you can use Calibre to convert to LRF, LIT, and/or ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
It will be interesting to see if Igorsk's KindlePid will work on the Kindle2. Any thoughts on why it will or will not?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, provided it is an .AZW file. A few ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which can't be stripped of its DRM. If an ebook page at Amazon does not list the ebook filesize in bytes, then it is probably a TOPAZ file. Or you can download the sample to be certain. TOPAZ ebooks usually have the .azw1 filename extension.
Topaz files can also have the extension .tpz. And no one has 'cracked' the DRM on Topaz yet, to my knowledge. At least one person has cracked the basic file structure, but I don't think any DRM cracking will occur until enough .tpz/azw1 files hit the market.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: two Astak PP/various kindles
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but can I change the voice in which Kindle2 reads books--certainly some voices are easier and more pleasant for me to follow than others.
rrrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrlakin View Post
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but can I change the voice in which Kindle2 reads books--certainly some voices are easier and more pleasant for me to follow than others.
I think it has two choices, Male or Female.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I think I read that you can vary the speech speed too. Check the Kindle 2 user manual on Amazon.com
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
click on my linky to download the Kindle 2 manual.......you can read it before you get your device.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote