Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Does this mean I cannot use the Sony software once I get it working with Calibre?
Yes. Well, it means that the PRS-500 will only connect to the software whose driver you have installed. If you install the calibre driver then the Sony software will not recognize or connect to the device and vice versa.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you cant use both products on one computer for a PRS500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
you cant use both products on one computer for a PRS500
I do and have. But, you can only use one of them to connect to the device.

What I used to do what use calibre to do conversions... then save to disk, import into Sony library and send them to the device using it. This gave me the pre-indexing and the ability to use Sony purchased ebooks... and still use calibre to convert.

(Although I never did buy any ebooks from Sony.)

BOb
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the responses.

One more question: Could it be used the opposite way from pilotbob? Can Calibre download Sony DRM eBooks (purchased and downloaded through the Sony software) to the PRS-500? I'm not sure where the DRM decoding goes on.

I'd rather use Calibre as my primary tool and one-and-only downloader so I can use the news feeds, as well as convert PDFs, but I want to occasionally be able to buy Sony titles and download them, and/or manage the Sony books I already have.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Can Calibre download Sony DRM eBooks (purchased and downloaded through the Sony software) to the PRS-500? I'm not sure where the DRM decoding goes on.
Um... Give it a try. See if you can import a .LRX into calibre. I know it will not be able to read the book meta data so you will have to manually edit the info for every ebook you add.

BOb