Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
If I post enough will this thread make the front page of mobileread?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #32
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I agree with OP that threads tend to become enormous, posts start repeating themselves and answering something from 5 pages ago seems like a waste of time. This is a wildly spread problem over the WWW and quite a few forums cope with it by pulling the trigger ASAP. On the other hand, pulling the trigger feels like you are the poor subject of dictatorship and is very unpleasant.

The solution for me is adding kind of a +1 button. Instead of repeating the same opinion over and over again, I'd be able to show I am on the same camp as the poster of the message. Karma is not good enough as I can't see how much Karma a post got, nor how many people gave that Karma.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #33
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The solution for me is adding kind of a +1 button. Instead of repeating the same opinion over and over again, I'd be able to show I am on the same camp as the poster of the message. Karma is not good enough as I can't see how much Karma a post got, nor how many people gave that Karma.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
On the other hand, pulling the trigger feels like you are the poor subject of dictatorship and is very unpleasant.

The solution for me is adding kind of a +1 button. Instead of repeating the same opinion over and over again, I'd be able to show I am on the same camp as the poster of the message.
Disagree. This would work if their were only a few stock opinions in the world about any given subject. There many nuances of opinion, even if they sometimes seem similar. I liken this to the misconception people have about synonyms. Most synonyms aren't really synonyms, but similar meaning words with nuance. Anger is the general feeling of displeasure. Indignation is righteous anger. Rage is out of control anger. To seethe is to have bottled up anger. All mean anger, but have difference nuance and connotation. think the same can be said for opinions. Your system seem like voting for a few candidates.

And i am all for dictatorship, as long as I am the dictator.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 02-23-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #35
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
On the site ravelry (knitting site, behind a login), their forums have agree/disagree buttons, but you can't see who agreed/disagreed. It also has the ability to view replies to a particular comment without threading.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I agree with some of what Saoir is saying - if they are referring to some of the threads in the non-lounge area.
In the lounge the experience is conversational, and hence threads will meander way off-topic frequently.

It is in some of the 'technical' areas where threads become so long and full of less pertinent posts, that they can irritate - some of these are stickies too ....
True that. And that's usually why I simply start to ignore those.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've currently got a thread on my sock that is running quite long .... shall I cut it off, or keep unravelling it ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #38
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
I've currently got a thread on my sock that is running quite long .... shall I cut it off, or keep unravelling it ?
You should let the thread run its due course. Interfering with it would be tyranny.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #39
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Geoff, only unravel if it's a psock. Those are detrimental and should certainly be unraveled...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #40
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Isn't raveling the same thing as unraveling? What's the reverse of that, anyway?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #41
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Weaving, or maybe knitting/crocheting/macramé/nalebinding/other fibre art.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #42
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
some of these are stickies too ....
Agreed with this. I think if a thread is deemed worthy or not to become a sticky, then I think it should be cleaned out of non relevant posts within it.

Instead of the user having to scroll through post after post of 2 people having an argument/discussion, when all they want is the information which made the thread a sticky in the first place.

I say knock yourselves out in the normal threads. But the Stickys at the very least need to cleaned out.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #43
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Sure some of the threads are long, and reading every post in them would take a life time, but why would you want to remove posts, if the thread is 200 pages long, skip to the end if the first 10 pages or so don't fill your need.

my 2p
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #44
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Sure some of the threads are long, and reading every post in them would take a life time
You could become a threadologist.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
lalalala
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote