Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo
Removing Items from "I'm Reading"

I know I've seen this thread before, but for the life of me I cannot find it. Anyways, after upgrading to 1.8.1(KO) about 90% of my books are now showing up in the "I'm Reading" list (and again, the Kobo Desktop App decided to make all of my purchased books show up at about 88% reading completion).

I'm not going to go through and click through every page of what would seem like a million books. I'm just not. Thing is, I can't even delete then re-add the books, as many of them are the "included 100 classics" and books I've bought through the Kobo app.

How can I remove them? Calibre can show my books that are on the list, but seemingly cannot remove them from it. I've also tried SQLite 2009 as suggested elsewhere, but I'm secure enough in my extreme geek-ness to admit when something is just too dense for me to assimilate without a guide.

I'm sure this has come up before, and that there must be an easy way to do it. I would really appreciate some help here.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know about the 88% thing--that's a first for me. Are you saying that after replacing the sqlite, images, and kepub files/directories the problem still remains? Check this post out and then look at the first post in the thread for pholy's guide to replacing files.

Last edited by taming; 12-19-2010 at 04:03 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

The 88% thing is just a strange little quirk I've found my desktop app to have. About 20% of the time I click "Sync", it brings a bunch of my books back to the "I'm Reading" list, usually at around 80% for some reason. It particularily likes Beatrice & Virgil, one of the first books I read on the device...

And I'm saying I don't know how to edit the sqlite/random files on the Kobo. I don't see how doing a total re-format will help... Won't I then lose the 100 Classics altogether?

Basically after updating to 1.8.1, there are now a ton of books showing up under "I'm Reading". I want to get them off of that screen, but I don't want to have to open each one and click to the end.

Addendum: The books are showing as "Open". Some of them are also "New", but some aren't. It seems pretty random.

Also, the links you have posted in that comment don't work. They just open to the truncated "http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...tabase-1.8.zip", and the web page says "Bad request".

Last edited by sunami88; 12-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a good guide to replacing the sqlite and images file as the first post in the first sticky, just be aware that you also have to delete the kepub directory for 1.8.x as well. You will not lose your preloaded books--but they will be in the kepub format, rather than living in the sqlite Db itself. That's a good thing .

You will have to then sync your reader again. If the page numbering is off on your bookshelf, from previous syncs, then remove the books (rt click on the covers) from the shelf and then go into your "purchased books" list on the website,put checks next to the books you want on your reader, and then "bookmark" the books (top of purchased books ). Open the desktop application and update library.

The books you bookmarked on the website will appear on the shelves as new. Sync with your reader. You can then add your ePUB formatted books in via Adobe or Calibre.

This sounds more difficult than it actually is. You may also want to read the first post on the Installation thread.

Initially, all the books you synced will appear in I'm Reading. That's OK. When you connect the reader to USB again, and choose manage, they wall slip into "Books" unless you opened them when they were in "I'm Reading".

Last edited by taming; 12-19-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
About 20% of the time I click "Sync", it brings a bunch of my books back to the "I'm Reading" list, usually at around 80% for some reason. It particularily likes Beatrice & Virgil, one of the first books I read on the device
Yeah, I have a book I cannot stop from showing up with a bookmark on my desktop app and ereader every time I update library and sync. Maybe I have to do something on my web library, but I'm a bit nervous about deleting anything from there as I don't really understand it. Why is there a reading page and a purchased page?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have 70 books or so that I have purchased. I can always download them again from the "purchased" page. Books appear in "I'm Reading" only if they are in my desktop application or in "I'm Reading" on my reader.

@ltr: since you can always download the book again by bookmarking it from the purchased page, and updating your library on the desktop application, removing a book is really no big deal. You might want to read the user guide on your reader. It may reassure you.

Last edited by taming; 12-19-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, I have a book I cannot stop from showing up with a bookmark on my desktop app and ereader every time I update library and sync. Maybe I have to do something on my web library, but I'm a bit nervous about deleting anything from there as I don't really understand it. Why is there a reading page and a purchased page?

ltr
I had that problem too. Try 'finishing' the book (click to the last page) on both the device and on the Kobo app, then sync. It seemed to do the trick for me.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
sunami88
Enthusiast

Well that's helped a lot (no sarcasm). Now it's down to about 5 books, that only show as "New", so next time I add a book or two it should be fixed.

Funny thing was, Beatrice&Virgil AGAIN decided it was in progress, but this time at 1%. I opened it, went to the last page and clicked through to the end. It still shows as New, but that'll go away...

So the book I'm actually reading is back at the top of I'm Reading, Beatrice&Virgil is further down the page and shows Finished. I power the reader off and guess what I see? The cover for Beatrice&Virgil! I mean, the book was good, but not THAT good! Due to my Kobo's undying love of this book, I think I'm gonna have to delete it just so I can get the cover image out of my eyes.

Anyways, thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunami88 View Post
I power the reader off and guess what I see? The cover for Beatrice&Virgil! I mean, the book was good, but not THAT good! Due to my Kobo's undying love of this book, I think I'm gonna have to delete it just so I can get the cover image out of my eyes.

Anyways, thanks.
hehe, I'm felling your pain sunami88. As I said before, I have a book that does the same. I've tried as suggested to clear the bookmark in both the reader and dektop app, and then sync. This seems to work for a while, but if I buy a book and then hook up and update my library and sync to get the new book downloaded - there it is again with a bookmark in the I'm reading in my reader and on my desktop.

I guess next time I hook up, I'll Delete it from the web site Library Reading page and see if that works.

ltr
Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
sunami88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
hehe, I'm felling your pain sunami88. As I said before, I have a book that does the same. I've tried as suggested to clear the bookmark in both the reader and dektop app, and then sync. This seems to work for a while, but if I buy a book and then hook up and update my library and sync to get the new book downloaded - there it is again with a bookmark in the I'm reading in my reader and on my desktop.

I guess next time I hook up, I'll Delete it from the web site Library Reading page and see if that works.

ltr
Just in case anybody from Kobo reads this, this is exactly what happens to me with Beatrice&Virgil. Odd the two of us have the same bug... Care to name which book it happens with for you?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Care to name which book it happens with for you?
John Sandford - "Bad Blood".

ltr