Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Device: IQ
Here's how to root your IQ

Got it!
Here's a small tutorial how to get root access on your IQ. I'm kinda new to the android scene (this is my first android device, perhaps getting a Nexus S in the near future) so this is just a how to root guide. How to install marketplace and calendar will be my next project

How to root the IQ:

1. Install LaucherPro

2. Longpress the homescreen untill you get the 'Add to Home screen' window.

3. Choose: Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->Development (com.android.settings.DevelopmentSettings)

4. Lauch the newly created Development shortcut and check USB debugging

5. Install z4root.1.3.0.apk and use it to get full root access

RezzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

other apps I use (probably going to grow ):

WiFi Toggle (find it with SlideME)
Root Explorer (I found v2.10.2)
Startup Auditor (I found v2.3.1)
Advanced_Task_killer (I found 1.9.3)
Trillian

I used Startup Auditor to disable a few apps that I don't need/want:
BookInfo
BooksProvider
Camera (no idea why it's there)
Pocketbook Widget

Here's a nice site to see what files in the system/app folder are useful and which aren't.

It looks to me a few things could be removed to free up some extra space but be careful what you remove!
Always backup!

Last edited by RezzZ; 12-17-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Wow! I will test it now.
Thanks RezzZ!!!
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezzZ View Post
other apps I use (probably going to grow ):

WiFi Toggle (find it with SlideME)
Root Explorer (I found v2.10.2)
Startup Auditor (I found v2.3.1)
Advanced_Task_killer (I found 1.9.3)
Trillian

I used Startup Auditor to disable a few apps that I don't need/want:
BookInfo
BooksProvider
Camera (no idea why it's there)
Pocketbook Widget
Can you get rid of the ringtones and Sudoku, as well?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
RezzZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Can you get rid of the ringtones and Sudoku, as well?
yes you can
with Root Explorer you can go into the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder and remove all
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
K for you RezzZ !!!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
ReZzz, you are my hero!

Make sure to get this into the wiki.

Now that we have root, I wonder if we can get Market to work now... !

Last edited by Icewyng; 12-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm a literalist so I was pressing the heck out of the home button instead of the home button on the homescreen but eventually I figured it out. Installed z4root.1.3.0.apk and gained full root access. Installed Root Explorer but I can't figure out where to remove the Pocketbook Widget.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezzZ View Post
How to root the IQ:

1. Install LaucherPro [I did it with ADW].
4. Launch the newly created Development shortcut and check USB debugging
GREAT!!!

But in order to use it you have to have USB connected?!?
(asking cause there's none for us MACies yet ...)
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
RezzZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
GREAT!!!

But in order to use it you have to have USB connected?!?
(asking cause there's none for us MACies yet ...)
You don't need to use the usb connection. Just enabling the debug mode is enough for z4root to do it's job .

@TallMomof2
/system/app
desktop.apk 1339752b (Pocketbook Widget)
bookshelf.apk 244291b
booksprovider.apk 76003b
bookinfo.apk 605418b

so you can save like 1,5MB there
Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
No, you don't (rooted Samsung Galaxy S here)

The best thing is that you can un-root it if need be
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
BTW, rooting does not only allow to (un)install any sort of app, but it allows as well to start porting any kind of ROM, which is very interesting as well, particularly because the Pocketbook IQ has exactly the same button disposition as... TA-DA! the Samsung Galaxy S I9000; it has three front buttons (Menu, Home, Back) and two volume buttons. That might allow to port ROMs which use ultra-efficient kernels and of course Froyo. However, hardware-wise it would be unwise to try and port things which are made for a beefier machine.

By the way, if you can't or don't want to sideload Ryanza's Z4ROOT app, there are programs which allow you to do it from your PC, with Windows and Mac. The only requisite is that the device has Debug Mode toggled on. Here:

http://www.dkszone.net/root-samsung-...ndows-mac-os-x

For Apps with a rooted machine, I totally recommend Titanium Backup. It will allow you to uninstall system apps, but you can back them up in case you need them. Another interesting app is called "screenshot" which allows you to... well, do screenshots.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

The fact we have debug mode means we could use ADB and do a whole lot of nice things...

Anyone want to test what they were able to do with the PDN since the hardware seems similar?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Thanks, RezzZ! Karma to you!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Icewyng
Addict

Good news! ADB now detects the IQ. We just need to find the right permissions to access it.

I am sure we can figure out a way to push/pull stuff in there soon enough