Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
What I would like to do is read some of the paperbacks I have in my TBR backlog; I've got a huge bookcase full of them and they've been sitting there gathering dust because I've been reading mainly ebooks.

I also want to read more non-fiction this year; I've got a few of those books sitting around here waiting to be read.

I also need to get caught up with some series books. I sometimes let a few books pile up in a series in order to read them in one fell swoop. The only problem is, with large series, I sometimes forget where I left off because it's been a few years since I've read them, so I have to backtrack a bit and re-read books just to get back up to speed with what's happening with the characters.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My goal this year is to keep reading! I'd like to read a minimum of one book a week. I've decided not to add any additional challenges. *Yeah, I know, I've said that before.

I will be updating my progress on my post in the The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread!.

My list and reviews will also be on my 2014 shelf on GoodReads.
Quote:
And already I'm wavering on my promise to KISS! One of the book clubs I'm in over on GoodReads is starting a really cool (and flexible) series challenge.

I'm so tempted, especially since I do have a ridiculous number of series I'd like to both start and finish.
So yeah... I caved!

Among the 52 books, I will inserting books from a few series as part of the 2014 Series Challenge going on in one of the groups at GoodReads.
Its equivalent to a TBR Decimation challenge, but specifically targeted to series where you have to finish a series before starting a new one.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
So yeah... I caved!

Among the 52 books, I will inserting books from a few series as part of the 2014 Series Challenge going on in one of the groups at GoodReads.
Its equivalent to a TBR Decimation challenge, but specifically targeted to series where you have to finish a series before starting a new one.
Might want to sleep on it, maybe you will change your mind again tomorrow given how quickly you have run the gamut today.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Might want to sleep on it, maybe you will change your mind again tomorrow given how quickly you have run the gamut today.
I'm going to do it. I went back and forth about it all afternoon. At this point, I've already set up a challenge thread, picked a few series, and everything.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #35
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
My goal for 2014 is to read 80 books. This is smaller than the 135/6 books I read in 2013, but Uni work will get heavier in the second year, so I won't be able to reach those lofty heights again if I want to do well. I don't really have any sub-goals, as I read what I want, but I am going to try and read most of the books I already have. I have been buying lots ob back-catalogue Black Library ebooks, and now have all the ones I want. This means I will be buying less from them in future, which is good because they are rather expensive. Thankyou to Nyssa for this thread, and the list thread, as it is a good place to discuss our reading challenges and keep track of them alongside Goodreads.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
And already I'm wavering on my promise to KISS! One of the book clubs I'm in over on GoodReads is starting a really cool (and flexible) series challenge.

I'm so tempted, especially since I do have a ridiculous number of series I'd like to both start and finish.
I'm doing something similar with the smaller challenge I'm in, which is to read a dozen books you've owned for at least a year but not read yet. I've got loads of Ent corpses, and with very few exceptions, they're over a year old. I've picked seven series out of the graveyard, and combined they account for 21* physical books. I've read at least the first book in all but one of those series, and this gives me an incentive to finish the rest.

In addition, one of the big reasons I switched to ebooks was to stop piling up more physical stuff. Unfortunately, the nature of an e-reader is that it encourages me to keep reading ebooks, which does nothing about the physical stacks. By deliberately adding these physical books to my challenge list, I hope to develop the habit of alternating between physical and electronic books, to finally reduce the physical stacks.

Plus, of course, those books all count toward my broader "read X books" goal - so each of those 21 books winds up doing triple or quadruple duty.

* Yes, that challenge is for 12 books and two alternates, which is only 14. I'm still finalizing my formal list, but the other seven books will go to my personal "secondary" list. It's just a question of which books I feel more like tackling when.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Actually, hmm, looking at some of the previous posts, I might also add a sub-goal of "read at least one paper book a month".

I do have more than enough unread paper books at home, not all of them bought for shelf-adorning - some were books that I was curious enough about / actually want to read, which looked more gorgeous than the average book in hardback, so I got them only in that shape (as opposed to double-dipping and getting shelf-display paper books of books I've read and adored as ebooks).

I'd also like to finish off a few already started series (I know I will with a few I've been reading, as they'll come to an end in 2014) as I've been dipping into a lot of various series in the last couple of years, mostly in the hopes of finding something new and exciting to keep me going, and with some of them, I had every intention to continue - have even already bought the next book or books.

But that, as well as another sort-of goal/hope to vary my reading a bit more and step outside speculative YA, urban fantasy and cosy mysteries (which I did, somewhat, this year, and was happy about), are a bit too vague to really put down in writing.

It'll all depend on my mood - I'm not going to force myself to read anything I'm not in the mood for, whether it's a book in a started series or something outside my usual preferred genres. I can only hope I'll be in the mood for different things over the year.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #38
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
My goal for 2014 is to read at least 75 books. My goal for 2013 was to read 52 books and I'm now at 63, with three more I'll probably finish by the end of the year, so I think I'll be able to manage 75 books.

There are many authors and genres I discovered this year and I want to continue exploring genres that I'm unfamiliar with.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My goal this year isn't to read a certain number of books, but to organize my library, both paper and digital!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #40
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
But really, I'd like to recover some of the joy of reading that I've lost somehow.
Been there, done that. My suggestion is to find a couple of SHORT books in your favorite genre. While I love horror, crime, thrillers and mysteries, sometimes drama just gets to me and I go find something that is funny.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I managed to track my reading and my goals in the 2012 Thread, and started in the 2013 Thread but life interfered and I ended up not keeping track. But we'll try again. The goal is a simple 120 books (10 a month, that seems pretty reasonable for me to accomplish if life doesn't totally intrude.) I don't count pages and I don't care if it's an ebook or an audio book, both count. If it's an omnibus, I count it as the number of original full-length books inside. Chapbooks generally count as one, unless they're quite short, and then I will lump them together.

Thanks, Nyassa, for organizing this. I really do want to try to keep track.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, I managed to track my reading and my goals in the 2012 Thread, and started in the 2013 Thread but life interfered and I ended up not keeping track. But we'll try again. The goal is a simple 120 books (10 a month, that seems pretty reasonable for me to accomplish if life doesn't totally intrude.) I don't count pages and I don't care if it's an ebook or an audio book, both count. If it's an omnibus, I count it as the number of original full-length books inside. Chapbooks generally count as one, unless they're quite short, and then I will lump them together.

Thanks, Nyassa, for organizing this. I really do want to try to keep track.
Glad to contribute to the MobileRead community!

As for you keeping track, I can nudge you via PM every once in a while if you like. Maybe I'll start a "Needs a Monthly 'Update Your Thread' Reminder" thread and anyone who either wants a reminder or doesn't mind sending one can post their interest there.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #43
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Been there, done that. My suggestion is to find a couple of SHORT books in your favorite genre. While I love horror, crime, thrillers and mysteries, sometimes drama just gets to me and I go find something that is funny.
Yup, I tend to go to an old favorite (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or something).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Maybe I'll start a "Needs a Monthly 'Update Your Thread' Reminder" thread and anyone who either wants a reminder or doesn't mind sending one can post their interest there.
I could benefit from this. I have no concept of the passage of time, so a monthly nudge would help me greatly.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #45
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post

It'll all depend on my mood - I'm not going to force myself to read anything I'm not in the mood for, whether it's a book in a started series or something outside my usual preferred genres. I can only hope I'll be in the mood for different things over the year.

That's probably going to be the bottom line for me - no matter what I'm planning to do right now. Genre books are like a favorite fuzzy blanket to me, and some years you just need the blanket more than others.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote