Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Getting rid of the Header in 2.5.2 epubs

With the patch 2.5.2 Kobo decided to "kobo-fy" the epub rendering engine, by adding a permanent title-line on top of the screen.

I was not really happy with the prospect of not upgrading the Kobo from now on, only to get rid of the bar, so I started to experiment a bit.

The quick and dirty solution I found atm is to just patch the 2.5.1 reader *.so back in after applying the 2.5.2 patch.
After a few hours of reading it seems to work without any problem.

I also tried older reader versions (2.2.1, 2.3.0, 2.4.0) but they don't work, so some dependencies probably have changed with the big 2.5.0 update.

Would be nice to figure out a way to make the older versions work again, to get a version that had working italics for certain fonts, or the back to library function.

The attached file includes the readerapp file from 2.5.1 and from 2.5.2.

Installation procedure is as usual, rename the files to koboroot.tgz and put them in the .kobo folder.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Kobo - adobereader.rar (203.1 KB, 614 views)
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Great work. I'll give this a go later.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Wingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Mini
I just bought a Kobo Mini and udpated it yesterday; I'm running firmware version 2.5.1 (4/22/2013). Thanks for the warning not to update! That header would have been really irritating. >.<
Wingman4l7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
ZipMaker
Ateş Sönmez
ZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
I have 2.5.2, and don't want the title but I don't understand how to install. Can you help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Installation procedure is as usual, rename the files to koboroot.tgz and put them in the .kobo folder.
ZipMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Wingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipMaker View Post
I have 2.5.2, and don't want the title but I don't understand how to install. Can you help?
It should be pretty straightfoward. Download the provided file, and uncompress the KoboRoot - epubnoheader2.5.1.tgz file from it (the 2.5.2 was included as a backup). Rename that file to KoboRoot.tgz.

Then, hook the Kobo up to your computer. The internal memory should show up as removable storage, like a USB thumbdrive does. Navigate to the .kobo/ directory and copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into it.

After that I am not sure what the next step is but the Kobo Touch Hacking wiki page on MobileRead says:
Quote:
The method used by the Kobo Touch to upgrade its firmware is quite simple: If the file .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz is found in the Kobo's public partition, then the .tgz file is extracted to the root of the internal system partition.
So, I am guessing you just run an [offline?] update and it will install the older firmware version.
Wingman4l7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Please Kobo give us a full screen option where both header and bottom can be used for text. Even with the header used for text there is this "gap" at the bottom that is a bit annoying. The page count could be on the lowest line making it the very last line of the screen or something like that.
Thank you
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Works great so far. Just remember it's KoboRoot.tgz. I made the mistake of using all lower case letters first time around and the Kobo wouldn't take the update.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
ZipMaker
Ateş Sönmez
ZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipseZipMaker can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman4l7 View Post
It should be pretty straightfoward. Download the provided file, and uncompress the KoboRoot - epubnoheader2.5.1.tgz file from it (the 2.5.2 was included as a backup). Rename that file to KoboRoot.tgz.

Then, hook the Kobo up to your computer. The internal memory should show up as removable storage, like a USB thumbdrive does. Navigate to the .kobo/ directory and copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into it.
Hello, thank you. I installed 2.5.1 update again and everything is fine. What do you suggest? 2.5.1 or 2.5.2 with your hack?
ZipMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
marlowe310
marlowe310 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Just wanted to say THANKS. Worked like a dream, and it was really a pretty huge frustration for a giant baby like me!
marlowe310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman4l7 View Post
I just bought a Kobo Mini and udpated it yesterday; I'm running firmware version 2.5.1 (4/22/2013). Thanks for the warning not to update! That header would have been really irritating. >.<
You think? It's a small font title-line. It doesn't so much "koboify" the device as "bookify" it; there's a title line on every book you read, after all.

Now that I've read this, it's probably going to drive me nuts (and really, this should be an option just like page numbers), but honestly I hadn't even noticed it changed until reading this thread!
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
You think? It's a small font title-line. It doesn't so much "koboify" the device as "bookify" it; there's a title line on every book you read, after all.

Now that I've read this, it's probably going to drive me nuts (and really, this should be an option just like page numbers), but honestly I hadn't even noticed it changed until reading this thread!
Maybe there is a title line / bar on every book page in English language books, but in many languages there is no title /chapter line or bar on every book page.
At least not in general fiction or non-fiction books: German, Dutch, Swedish, Danish.
Books that sometimes do have the mentioned title/chapter bar in books are educational text books.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Please Kobo give us a full screen option where both header and bottom can be used for text. Even with the header used for text there is this "gap" at the bottom that is a bit annoying. The page count could be on the lowest line making it the very last line of the screen or something like that.
Thank you
Hear, hear!
Note the word option. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. I do.
+1
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Hear, hear!
Note the word option. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. I do.
+1
guys, why not put a request in
https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/ideas/popular
then link it back to the forum, so that we can +1 it? Things seem to move slowly over there, but with a linkback on MR we should get to be noticed in no time.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank you ewphoenix123
In my kobo glo worked very well

One more question: is there a way to remove also the number of pages in the bottom of the screen? That way the text appears in full screen.

Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburscyo View Post
Thank you ewphoenix123
In my kobo glo worked very well

One more question: is there a way to remove also the number of pages in the bottom of the screen? That way the text appears in full screen.

Koreader has an amazing fullpage-view (try the scrollmode view), and it works pretty good already on Glo, mini and touch. A new version can be found at the end of the thread-
Sadly it won't work on the aura atm.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203622
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote