Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
ricksoft
ricksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Same Library on multiple computers - Ratings don't match

Hi,
I have two computers, both with the same library on. I use AllwaySync to keep sync changes to/from a usb key, but when I set the Rating of a book on one computer, and sync to the other, Calibre does not show the rating on the second computer.

I'd guessing this is to do with the database somehow. I'd like to be able to modify ratings for books on one or other machine, and have the rating transfer after doing a sync.

Has anyone found a way to do this?

Thanks,

Richard.
ricksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The rating are stored in the metadata.db file, and DO transfer if you sync this correctly.

What I suspect has happened is that you have Calibre open on both machines at the same time (each locking their copy of the database) - this will stop the database sync working correctly as Calibre cannot share its database with another Calibre instance.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
ricksoft
ricksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info. I had assumed the ratings would be in the metadata.opf file.

I think I'll have to find another way to do the syncing, so it is automatic every time I change anything.

Cheers.
ricksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksoft View Post
Thanks for the info. I had assumed the ratings would be in the metadata.opf file.
The metadata.opf file is a relatively recent addition to Calibre. It contains a backup copy of the metadata for that book. It's main purpose is to support rebuilding the metadata.db file if it has become corrupted.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple computers, ratings, sync