Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
What are the top three things you love about your Kobo Device?

Well maybe its time to state the obvious...

Since someone pointed out that there might be a little negativity going on about the Kobo.. I think we should start pointing out the positives about the Kobo Devices... from the very first Kobo to the current generation of Devices.

For me
#1 reason I love about my Kobo is the fact I can carry all my books around not have to worry about what I am going to read.
#2 reason I love about my Kobo is the fact I can add to my collection at any time.
#3 reason I love about my Kobo is the fact that so far Kobo has been very active listening to our concerns and continually strive to improve the Kobo Family.

Everyone else What do you love/like about your Kobo Device??

Regards

Jack
in advance
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
I love the quilted back on my Kobo Touch - it is so comfy in my hands.

I love the current book cover as screensaver feature and the little corner page that turns down when you save.

I love not being locked into one shop and being able to buy where I like.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
1: Having lots of books on it. I can read what I want, where I want.
2: The backlight (on my Glo), now I can read in bed without the bedside lamp on and waking up my wife.
3: The cover with the magnetic sensor on it, I can just open and close the cover and it pops in and out of sleep mode, VERY convenient. That and the official Kobo cover is VERY resilient, I can just chuck it in my daypack for work and the cover takes all the flack, not a scratch or mark on my Kobo Glo.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Often crash like palm and old Macintosh. I like them too.

Good community like plam and old Macintosh.

Long buttery life
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I love the lightness and compactness of my Mini!
I love my sleep cover for all the same reasons as danksmacabre!
I love using my Mini's wireless connection and Web browser to download books wirelessly using the Calibre server!
I love all the adjustments I can make to fonts, margins, spacing!
I love being able to add my collections/shelves to my Mini using Calibre!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-15-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
One other thing is the advantage this has over pbooks is on the occasions when I forget my reading glasses, I can just increase the font size a bit and I'm still able to read.
You can't do that with a pbook!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
System is installed on a removeable SD card and remains open. here's lots I'm willing to forgive Kobo for for that.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
1. Great looking display and very nice front lighting on my Glo! What a pleasure to not have to deal with LED booklights and continue feeding them. Once I realized how much I was spending on batteries for booklights an upgrade to a front lit ereader became sensible as well as desired.

2. Third party font support & variable stroke weight fonts!

3. Nice styling, black slider to match the casing, lighter and a bit smaller than my Touch.

4. Organizational features like shelves that can be managed from an automated database environment like Calibre without having to manually place each volume on a shelf.

5. The simple fact that Kobo is innovative and continuing to provide updates -which I am very hopeful they will continue doing even after bug fixes are all implemented.

6. That they gave me a choice good enough that I returned a Nook Glowlight, and didn't bother to investigate the Kindle Paperwhite.

Three wasn't enough.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-15-2013 at 08:22 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I love that my Kobo is lighter and has a better screen than any of the 3 Kindle PWs I've had.
Oh yeah, and it's got a light!
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
1) Glolight, hands down the best feature. And the only front-lit device sold in Canada (Stuff it Amazon)
2) Form factor. The device is extremely comfortable to hold with a solid well-built case.
3) Supports Caecilia font, epub format, and gives much control over page display
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I love the Glo hardware:
1. The whiteness and fineness of the screen.
2. The evenness of the frontllght.
3. The existence of an external micro SD slot (and ability to upgrade the internal card too).

The firmware also has some good points:
4. The "flat" user interface style helps preserve the illusion of reading from a paper page.
5. The huge range of possible font adjustments, especially the ability to reduce font weight.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I
5. The huge range of possible font adjustments, especially the ability to reduce font weight.
Woa, back a step.. you like to *reduce* font weight? Well, my Mom always did say the world has all types. Good thing Kobo tries to accomodate everyone
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Woa, back a step.. you like to *reduce* font weight? Well, my Mom always did say the world has all types. Good thing Kobo tries to accomodate everyone
Yes :-) The heavy fonts remind me of reading a cheap paperback, whereas a light font is reminiscent of reading high quality hardcovers where higher density paper allows use of a finer font.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I love the device itself (first a Touch, that I gifted to my mother, now a Glo) : lighter, faster to read, always something to read versus paperbooks, able to read at night or in poor light. Charges withe the same wire that my phone.

I love the firmware (despite bugs) : epub's main format so I'm not tied to a bookstore, works hands in hands with Calibre (that is a most convenient software, cheers for the developpers), low battery consumption. Ability to set the font size to the one I'm comfortable with, build-in dictionnaries (even if they are poor, not much is better than nothing). Shelves management (even if it could still be improved).

I love the will of the Kobo team to hear the consumers and try to improve our reading experience :-)

I'm happy with my Glo, I don't search anywhere else as it globally suits my needs
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Mick_Belgium
Mick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Besides the obvious standard perks of any e-reader vs. paper books, things I like specifically about my new Kobo Glo:

The gorgeous design: flat white front (and the white is more vivid and "whiter" than white iPads/iPhones, by the way, which I've always found just a tinge on the yellow side) and beautiful blue, sturdy, quilted back. A pleasure to hold and to behold.

The evenly distributed light, which can be set to amazingly bright levels.

The fact that it uses MicroUSB just like Kindle and most smartphones, instead of a proprietary system. I can now reuse my old Kindle's cable.

The fact that I was able to buy it in a store here in Belgium, a physical place I can go to if I have issues with it. Sure beats ordering a Kindle Paperwhite from the U.S.

One thing that could stand to be improved, I do want to point out (but not a deal-breaker), is putting books on shelves. On my old Kindle, when shelving newly-added books, I had the option to see only the books that were not already on a shelf. Whereas on my Kobo, I always got the same list of *all* books to sift through when recreating my seven-or-so shelves. But that was just a one-off inconvenience on day one of setting up the device.
Mick_Belgium is offline   Reply With Quote