Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
With english books it doesn't really matter (for me).

But Mobi is quite annoying for german books, since the german language has a lot of words which are very long (not just compositions, even normal words) and Mobi files can't use full justification in these cases. But this works with Azw3 now.

On the other hand, you sometimes get errors with the table of contents when you convert an Epub to Azw3 in Calibre. And some Epubs can't get converted into Azw3 at all (mostly extreme large files with thousands of pages).

And another problem of Azw3 is that files get too large now. I have some simple 300 pages books that have 4-6 MB now. (Keep in mind that we only have 1 GB on a Kindle.) It would be nice if there would be a waya to get rid of embedded fonts with one click when you convert Epub to Azw3, for example. Most of these fonts don't look good at the Kindle anyway.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
My Kindle Paperwhite has 2GB on it. But either way, yeah it's quite a jump in size from ePub to azw3, 250k and 400k for some books.

I may start doing .mobi, as alot of my stuff doesn't have embedded fonts I don't think. Mainly bestseller fiction and indy pubs.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #18
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These days I always convert to AZW3. Really no reason at all to use Mobi any more.
There is one reason, and a good reason for my use - the Send to Kindle PC app does NOT work for azw3 files.

I tried converting some epub files to azw3, and the Send to Kindle command doesn't show up at all in Windows Explorer for those. It works wonderfully for mobi, though.

Yes, I know there are other ways to get books from Calibre/computer to Kindle, from plugging the Kindle in via USB to e-mailing them to using Calibre server, but I don't really like any of them - I prefer to keep a copy also on the Amazon cloud, which only e-mailing out of those other options achieves, but e-mailing is cumbersome and slow compared to Send to Kindle.

(If the Send to Kindle app does indeed work with azw3, I'd be interested to know how / what set-up - I've found it bizarre that it doesn't, so I poked around quite a bit with no luck.)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
There is one reason, and a good reason for my use - the Send to Kindle PC app does NOT work for azw3 files.
Not an issue for me. I always put books on my Kindle using the "Send to Device" command from within Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not an issue for me. I always put books on my Kindle using the "Send to Device" command from within Calibre.
I assumed many people do that, which is why I specified "for my use".

I figured it's something that other people might want to be aware of, though, as it's one (possibly the only) current drawback of converting epub into azw3 - it may or may not be relevant for the OP or for other people, but plenty of people do use the Send to Kindle app instead of hooking the Kindle up to the computer - for example to if they plan to use it to send books remotely to a family member's Kindle (e.g. older parent who lives away).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I assumed many people do that, which is why I specified "for my use".

I figured it's something that other people might want to be aware of, though, as it's one (possibly the only) current drawback of converting epub into azw3 - it may or may not be relevant for the OP or for other people, but plenty of people do use the Send to Kindle app instead of hooking the Kindle up to the computer - for example to if they plan to use it to send books remotely to a family member's Kindle (e.g. older parent who lives away).
Absolutely, and you make a very good point, which is well worth making.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To make it short: Azw3 has a lot of advantages, but Amazon would like to see these advanages in books sold through their store only..

That's why you get all these problems and can't send Azw3 docs to your Amazon cloud drive, etc.

I love my Kindle, but sometimes I get the impression it doesn't love me that much back..
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Another reason to use mobi files is JBPatch that adds hyphenation for many languages, but not for azw3 files. The Paperwhite has to be jailbroke though to install JBPatch.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I love my Kindle, but sometimes I get the impression it doesn't love me that much back..
It will love you back as soon as you purchase a shiny new book from Amazon.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
medard
Wizard

Hahaha, yes exactly.

Press "Buy" on our homepage to get your virtual books and set "Wifi On" that we can see what you're doing, and everything is fine with us..
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Sorry for barging in, but, am I correct in saying that the 'azw3' file format is the new Amazon format?

It seems to be able to hold more information, formatting options etc...
But how's it's garbage collection? Do the files contain a lot of garbage info?

The fact that a book becomes 4-6MB in size, may have to do with Calibre.
It is an automated program, which still has many errors.
There's nothing like hand-creating a clean HTML0 file, and converting that with some app to the desired format. It beats converting anything else via Calibre.

Calibre may make it appear as if the file loads well, but underneath may be a lot of code hidden, that the ebook reader never will be able to use; broken code, or code that's incorrectly interpreted, and thus incorrectly encoded.

I've said this in the past, how important it is to keep a book formatting very basic (and get rid of class and templates).
A lot of people used not to agree with me, because back in the days ebook readers had SD card slots. Nowadays they have 1 or 2 GB of internal memory, and no way of expanding it, and the importance of keeping files clean and small becomes apparent again! (not to mention smaller files cause less crashes, low memory warnings, and may increase battery life, and book responsiveness; although for regular books you won't notice lots of responsiveness, for books with a lot of chapters, like bibles, or concordances, or dictionaries, responsiveness may be affected).

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-29-2012 at 06:22 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Prodigit, far as I understand azw3 is a fancy new container for the epub3 standard. Not all features of epub3 can be used on every kindle. AZW3 books that are 4-6 mb big are unnecessary large. Not sure if that is calibres fault or bad source material to begin with. My LOTR azw3 (the new version) including x-ray is 3.75 mb big. No other normal book should be that big if done right. Sure, graphic novels can get huge - not counting them then.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
medard
Wizard

These 4-6 MB books that I got are books with embedded fonts and some promotional pics. These are very wellmade books from a german publishing house.

Personally I agree with ProDigit, I prefer small and simple books at my Kindle. But on the other hand: Large files can be fun, too.. I have no seize restrictions on my SONY, since I can put a Micro SD card into it. And some books look really cool.

This is not really a problem of the file seize. This is a problem of Amazon that won't allow us to put a Four Dollar Micro SD card into our Kindle. Which is quite weird..

Last edited by medard; 12-29-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
2GB should be enough to store books on for just about any trip you're planning to make.
1GB is not.
2GB however, is not good enough to store ALL your books in.

I did read something about wifi, is it possible to directly stream files to and from my kindle PW? (meaning, can I access it's internal memory from a laptop, and delete/update/move files?)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
2GB should be enough to store books on for just about any trip you're planning to make.
1GB is not.
2GB however, is not good enough to store ALL your books in.

I did read something about wifi, is it possible to directly stream files to and from my kindle PW? (meaning, can I access it's internal memory from a laptop, and delete/update/move files?)
You can't access the storage the way you are thinking over wifi. Calibre Content server might be possible, have not tried yet. If connected to wifi you can access all of your personal (the ones you can upload yourself) books from the Amazon cloud. You get 5gb free to use. Plus all the books you ever bought from Amazon are available out of the cloud. And your PW does NOT have 2 gb that you can use for books. Amazon says 2 GB, but that is the TOTAL storage of the PW. Only about 1.3 gb are available for you to see as USB-drive.