Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #61
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
muness, did you take into account that what is /mnt/us/myhacks from the perspective of the scripts and launchpad will present as "myhacks" when you access it via USB drive mode? I.e. you should not create a folder hierarchy mnt/us/myhacks, but rather only "myhacks" and put the scripts in there. Maybe you took that already into account, but since you talked about creating the scripts under their full, kindle-specific name, I'd rather ask...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #62
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
muness, did you take into account that what is /mnt/us/myhacks from the perspective of the scripts and launchpad will present as "myhacks" when you access it via USB drive mode? I.e. you should not create a folder hierarchy mnt/us/myhacks, but rather only "myhacks" and put the scripts in there. Maybe you took that already into account, but since you talked about creating the scripts under their full, kindle-specific name, I'd rather ask...
hawhill, yes, I only created a myhacks directory, and dropped them there. Thanks for checkling and sorry I wasn't very clear in my post.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #63
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by muness View Post
hawhill, yes, I only created a myhacks directory, and dropped them there. Thanks for checkling and sorry I wasn't very clear in my post.
Do you have ssh access to your kindle? If so, you can test the scripts from terminal first so you can debug it easily if it is not working.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #64
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Do you have ssh access to your kindle? If so, you can test the scripts from terminal first so you can debug it easily if it is not working.
dave,

I finally got around to trying this today, and it turned out my problem were errant dos carriage returns. :/ Removed those with dos2unix and all is well.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #65
muness

After I got the script working, I documented the whole process of jailbreaking the kindle, installing launchpad and packaged up the progress bar remover hack. See http://bit.ly/KAxgTZ if you're interested.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #66
mstefanski
mstefanski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Hi

I am pretty new to Kindles, how exactly do I disable page refresh on Kindle 4NT? I would appreciate step-by-step guide for a moron, but pointers would be appreciated.

I have the script saved as noflash.sh in the root of my device. When should I start it and what is the best way to do it?

TIA
mstefanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mstefanski: It's the default (well, not exactly, but unless you want me to start rambling about e-ink internals...) on the K4/K5. 5 pages of flash-less refresh, then a full refresh. You can *disable* it on the Settings page (ie. always flash).

Keep in mind that this heavily depends on the temperature of the controller. It will fall back to full flash if it's too hot.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #68
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mstefanski: It's the default (well, not exactly, but unless you want me to start rambling about e-ink internals...) on the K4/K5. 5 pages of flash-less refresh, then a full refresh. You can *disable* it on the Settings page (ie. always flash).

Keep in mind that this heavily depends on the temperature of the controller. It will fall back to full flash if it's too hot.
There is bad ghosting when too cold too (high oil viscosity in the eink beads). It really should do full flash then too.

For highest contrast on a K5, it sometimes takes THREE full-flash updates. You can force refreshes from SSH to see that effect.

And I wrote some code that does intensive scanline redraws, so even after triple update in ideal conditions, I can write both clearly visible "blacker than black" on black backgrounds, and "whiter than white" on white backgrounds. Just the nature of eink. But still MUCH better than the ghosting on school chalkboards from when I was at University. They did not get "full refresh" (washed) during lectures.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-13-2012 at 03:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #69
mstefanski
mstefanski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I see that I misinterpreted the script purpose - what i would love is a way to permanently disable flashing of the screen unless manual key combination is pressed. I can deal with a lot of ghosting, I am not looking for perfect image, rather for non-intrusive page flips.

I guess I could mess around with the code for selective refresh but I have no ide a on how to hook up a .sh script to keys.

Any ideas/pointers?
mstefanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A custom kernel/e-ink driver module? (You might want to look into how the Kobo/Nook hackers handled this).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #71
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
A custom kernel/e-ink driver module? (You might want to look into how the Kobo/Nook hackers handled this).
The Nook folks boot from microSD card. We can boot a custom kernel from /mnt/us using kexec: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172582
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #72
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstefanski View Post
I see that I misinterpreted the script purpose - what i would love is a way to permanently disable flashing of the screen unless manual key combination is pressed. I can deal with a lot of ghosting, I am not looking for perfect image, rather for non-intrusive page flips.

I guess I could mess around with the code for selective refresh but I have no ide a on how to hook up a .sh script to keys.

Any ideas/pointers?
Launchpad. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97636

And ini to point to script. info in thread
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #73
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
how to do this on a k5.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #74
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
how to do this on a k5.
How to do WHAT? It helps to provide context and complete sentences. Are you referring to twobob's post, or to the thread title?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #75
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
This thread's title. Though it would be really awesome to run launchpad scipts on k5.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote