Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #76
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
BTW, is And Then There Were None available in the public domain? Any decently formatted versions? And what about Witness for the Prosecution?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #77
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
BTW, is And Then There Were None available in the public domain? Any decently formatted versions? And what about Witness for the Prosecution?
as far as i know, there are only 2 christies in the pd, and both are available here. neither of the ones you mention are. however, there are quite a few of them available as ebooks at fictionwise, if memory serves. i'm not sure about those specific titles.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
as far as i know, there are only 2 christies in the pd, and both are available here. neither of the ones you mention are. however, there are quite a few of them available as ebooks at fictionwise, if memory serves. i'm not sure about those specific titles.
"And Then There Were None" is available from FW. "Witness for the Prosecution" is not available as an eBook, but it is in a paperback of Agatha Christie's plays.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #79
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Thanks, Zelda and Harry!

I was kind of lazy, and picked it up from Amazon. (Plus, I have the script to strip the DRM already setup with my Kindle PID, so I just drag the file out of the Kindle, then it's a one click process.)

At first glance the formatting is fine, for .awz. The poem refers to "Ten little Soldier boys," which I hadn't seen before, but it is certainly less offensive to contemporary eyes and ears (unless, I guess, you are a little Soldier boy :-)

Anyway, I look forward to rereading this very soon, and see if I will find it as good as I did years ago.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
At first glance the formatting is fine, for .awz. The poem refers to "Ten little Soldier boys," which I hadn't seen before, but it is certainly less offensive to contemporary eyes and ears (unless, I guess, you are a little Soldier boy :-)
Over the years it's gone from "niggers", to "indians", to "soldier boys". I guess to reflect changing societal attitudes to such things.

Quote:
Anyway, I look forward to rereading this very soon, and see if I will find it as good as I did years ago.
It is, as a matter of note, the best-selling detective novel in the world.
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I love all of the Miss Marple stories. I used to have them in paper. I can't stand Poirot.
In real life I wouldn't want to be around someone that narcissistic for long, but as a fictional character he cracks me up. I love reading Poirot stories.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #82
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In real life I wouldn't want to be around someone that narcissistic for long, but as a fictional character he cracks me up. I love reading Poirot stories.
that's the beauty of fiction.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I seem to remember a line in one of Christie's stories (pretty sure it was one of hers) about an amply endowed woman following her bosom across the room or something to that effect. The line made me laugh out loud. Does anyone remember what story that line was from?
-- Tom
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #84
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I seem to remember a line in one of Christie's stories (pretty sure it was one of hers) about an amply endowed woman following her bosom across the room or something to that effect. The line made me laugh out loud. Does anyone remember what story that line was from?
-- Tom
i don't but i hope someone does so i can read it.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #85
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
-- Tom
Sounds more like a Terry Pratchett line to me - describing Sybil (Sam Vines' bride)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #86
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Poirot is much more fun than Miss Marple - she's the one of Christie's detectives I like least.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

We have a new TV Miss Marple from next weekend, Julie McKenzie:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8210342.stm

For me, Joan Hickson remains the "definitive" Miss Marple, however!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #88
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We have a new TV Miss Marple from next weekend, Julie McKenzie:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8210342.stm

For me, Joan Hickson remains the "definitive" Miss Marple, however!
A bit of trivia for you - Hickson was the "definitive" Miss Marple for Queen Elizabeth - who invited Miss Hickson to tea at the palace to congratulate her on her performance.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Her Majesty has very good taste .