Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
No, it's all the hot chicks... oh, no wait, that was being rich.....
huh... somehow, that doesn't really tempt me much.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Crooked House is another one that stands out in my mind.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Crooked House is another one that stands out in my mind.
crooked house is not bad. christie really liked to write about dysfonctional families who had far too many secrets for their own good, and many many complex hidden (or not so hidden...) conflicts. i have to say that particular book has a truly unexpected ending, which i won't spoil here, but let's just say i did not see it coming at all and was quite impressed by it as it was rather daring.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, i think that's true. in a few poirot novels there is a character named ariadne oliver ; she is a detective writer who created a finnish, vegetarian detective with many quirks. she spends quite a lot of time complaining about how sick of him she is and wondering what on earth possessed her to write such a character. i believe she is agatha's little inside joke allowing her to say how she feels herself about poirot.
She also has a scene with someone criticising Ariadne Oliver's books because it's completely unrealistic that someone should be murdered, and 3 or 4 people present at the scene having different motives for murdering them . Yes, it's clearly Agatha Christie poking fun at her own books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel

having a sense of humour about her own work is another sign of her genius, as far as i'm concerned.
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
crooked house is not bad. christie really liked to write about dysfonctional families who had far too many secrets for their own good, and many many complex hidden (or not so hidden...) conflicts. i have to say that particular book has a truly unexpected ending, which i won't spoil here, but let's just say i did not see it coming at all and was quite impressed by it as it was rather daring.
Yes, the ending was a complete surprise for me, too. I think that is what makes me remember it. Likewise with Endless Night and Then there were none. I've only read these once, because I still remember the ending, and who did it, too well.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, the ending was a complete surprise for me, too. I think that is what makes me remember it. Likewise with Endless Night and Then there were none. I've only read these once, because I still remember the ending, and who did it, too well.
then there were none :shudder: that's the only christie which ever scared the pants off me. i only read it once because my nerves could never survive a second time.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Secret Adversary has just been uploaded as an ePub eBook. It is the first Tommy & Tuppance mystery.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...147#post559147
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
My favorite all-time Christie novel was her last Miss Marple written - Nemesis.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I love all of the Miss Marple stories. I used to have them in paper. I can't stand Poirot.

As for the TV/movie portrayals of Miss Marple, Joan Hickson is perfect. She is just like the character in the books. Most other actresses did a poor job of portraying Miss Marple. The worst was Angela Landsbury -- absolutely laughable.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

i completely agree ! joan hickson is the definitive miss marple. i can't even watch any other actress since i saw her films.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #42
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Funny, I was not in love with her writing, so never read much from her.

I remember liking Ten Little Indians a lot, when I was a kid, but that's about it.

Oh, and I actually really liked the old movie The Witness for the Prosecution, although I never read the story. Maybe I'll read it now, but I am afraid it will spoil the movie. :-)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #43
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
i completely agree ! joan hickson is the definitive miss marple. i can't even watch any other actress since i saw her films.
I was always partial to Margaret Rutherford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyFSy...eature=related
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #44
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I was always partial to Margaret Rutherford.
Seconded.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #45
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
(Suchet and Hickson are for me the quintessential Poirot and Marple.)

Marple favorties: Body in the Library, The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, 4:50 from Paddington (but I adore all the Marples)

Poirot favorites: Death in the Clouds, Cards on the Table, Sad Cypress, The Clocks -- but there are so many good ones!

Tommy and Tuppence: N or M?
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote