Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Murder at the Vicarage and Sleeping Murder are good..
I love Tommy and Tuppence's first book, The Secret Adversary.. Its a little different with all the espionage and a dash of romance.
I must say I'm partial to Poirot and his little gray cells.. (Haven't seen any of the TV or movie adaptions though)

Some that I absolutely love are And Then There Were None, Crooked House, Evil Under the Sun, The Mysterious Affair at Styles..

But my favourite.. Sad Cypress... I just love Elinor Carlisle's character.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #17
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
They came to Baghdad.
I like this one, too.

Actually, I think I prefer novels not with either Miss Marple or Poirot. Especially the Tommy & Tuppence novels, Endless Night, And then there were none, and Death Comes as the End (set in ancient Egypt).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I love Poirot both book and TV-wise, David Suchet is so wonderfully, deliciosly obnoxious and selfcentered in a nice way on the TV-series.

And likewise the book character.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
Quote:
"What's your favorite Agatha Christie?"
My favourite Agatha Christie is the one who wrote all those cool
murder mysteries.
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I take it 'Passenger to Frankfurt' won't be in the poll?

(On account of it being one of the worst books ever written.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #21
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
My favourite is "Nemesis" with Miss Marple.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I thought it was sort of fun
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #23
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I love all the Miss Marple ones, but my favorite is Sleeping Murder.

Last edited by Trilby; 08-18-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My favorite is The Hollow - a Poirot - for many reasons. It's told from multiple viewpoints of the characters - all unreliable narrators. No Captain Hastings. An overall tone of gloom or foreboding. And the murderer sort of gets away with it - with help. And -- one of the greatest comic characters in a mystery novel - the possibly homicidal mistress of the country house that everyone protects. A chimera of slapstick comedy with Greek tragedy.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Yeah, that's it. Alan isn't in them at all, just did a little intro in the beginning. For the Poirot one he talked about how Christie got really irritated with Poirot in the end (apparantly his mannerisms drove her crazy?)
yes, i think that's true. in a few poirot novels there is a character named ariadne oliver ; she is a detective writer who created a finnish, vegetarian detective with many quirks. she spends quite a lot of time complaining about how sick of him she is and wondering what on earth possessed her to write such a character. i believe she is agatha's little inside joke allowing her to say how she feels herself about poirot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I love Poirot both book and TV-wise, David Suchet is so wonderfully, deliciosly obnoxious and selfcentered in a nice way on the TV-series.

And likewise the book character.
suchet is absolutely brilliant as poirot, for me he's the definitive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertold View Post
My favourite Agatha Christie is the one who wrote all those cool
murder mysteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

i read it but only once. enough said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
I love all the Miss Marple ones, but my favorite is Sleeping Murder.
sleeping murder is definitely very good.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My favorite is The Hollow - a Poirot - for many reasons. It's told from multiple viewpoints of the characters - all unreliable narrators. No Captain Hastings. An overall tone of gloom or foreboding. And the murderer sort of gets away with it - with help. And -- one of the greatest comic characters in a mystery novel - the possibly homicidal mistress of the country house that everyone protects. A chimera of slapstick comedy with Greek tragedy.
i agree, and that's an excellent description. that's what i love about christie, is she manages to write detective novels with a really surprisingly large scope. she was really a very talented and brilliant woman.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #27
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i agree, and that's an excellent description. that's what i love about christie, is she manages to write detective novels with a really surprisingly large scope. she was really a very talented and brilliant woman.
And made it look so easy!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And made it look so easy!
isn't that the surest sign of genius ?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #30
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
No, it's all the hot chicks... oh, no wait, that was being rich.....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote