Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
MConti
Romantica Writer
MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Taking the Public Pulse Among Readers of eBooks

Bear with me because the question I have is both broad and specific. What I want to know from current mobile readers, what are you enjoying reading most these days? (If there's a thread about this around, help a sister out and point me off to the right place. )

Are you more into fiction? Blogs? Mags? Historical works?

Me, personally, I'm presently reading a lot of the classics on my Kindle. There are quite a few I missed along the way, so right now I'm enjoying 19th century British writers...Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Oscar Wilde, etc.

What are you reading now?
MConti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I don't buy many books for my ereader; mainly it's public domain fiction, the majority of that from the nineteenth century.
I still have a large TBR pbook pile to work through; and my non-fiction reads are pbooks.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I read a lot of fanfiction.

A *lot* of fanfiction. As in, more than 150k words/week, most weeks. Sometimes as much as half a million words in a week, when I can find long stories in fandoms I like, or when I'm exploring a new fandom with a lot of pre-existing content.

I read scifi/fantasy, and am a solid Baen.com customer. I have a small collection of classics on my Sony, and have the delusion that someday I'll get around to reading them. (Just as soon as I run out of White Collar slash. Right.) I read a set of blogs, mostly at Livejournal & Dreamwidth, but not on my ebook reader; I want the comments as well as the posts, and none of the rss feed methods deal with comments. I read erotica, mostly m/m but not entirely; I've bought from Omnilit and Fictionwise. (And a handful of other sites.) I read pagan books, but very little is available as ebooks; I've bought a couple in paper and scanned & converted them myself because I no longer read paper if I can possibly avoid it. For leisure reading, I can always avoid it.

I'll try well-recommended books in almost any genre from Smashwords. I won't pay for DRM'd ebooks, and I'm leery of paying for anything that comes only in PDF format, because I'll almost certainly have to reformat it extensively before I can enjoy reading it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
MConti
Romantica Writer
MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MConti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Cool information, Elfwreck and Sparrow. Interesting to know your current preferences. I'm a lit major, so I've read most of the classics, but I still have quite a list of new or overlooked ones I'm working through on my Kindle.

I haven't gotten into reading magazines or blogs on it yet. As to erotica, I read my share. Most of the erotica I read is considered "classic" (i.e. Anais Nin, Bataille, Henry Miller, etc). I'm not into the new wave of cheap money shots with no story or limited insights.

My tastes tend to run toward British authors, especially those of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. I'm also a Hemingway fanatic.
MConti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
I have only had my Kindle 2 for about a month, but I have read (and plan to read) just about anything that comes my way. I have a voracious appetite for books and enjoy a wide range of genres.

I also use google reader to follow several blogs as well.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Historical fiction (Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth, some of Michener's books such as Hawaii and Alaska, that sort of thing) is my favorite, but any really well-written book can grip me (Watership Down, Lord of the Rings etc.). I'm not too much into non-fiction such as biographies (never read one that didn't put me to sleep - I've got enough problems of my own without reading about someone else's!). Good humor along the Douglas Adams line is always appreciated.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Elfwreck, which fandoms do you read?

I sometimes read fanfiction but mostly from the computer. I will save to read off-line if it's very long, complete, in a fandom/with characters I enjoy or something like this, but most of it is on a whim, while at the computer.

For books, I go through phases. I was into pulpy alien stuff from the 'golden age' for awhile, generally will nearly always enjoy a good mystery and read my share of pub domain classics. Right now I am in a bit of a non-fiction phase, but that comes and goes with me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Elfwreck, which fandoms do you read?
Harry Potter and DC comics are the biggest. (And there's endless fanfic for both, enough that I can go looking for specific tropes or themes on a whim.) White Collar's new for me. Marvel comics, mostly X-men. House MD. Firefly. Dr Who. Trek--TOS, new Trek. Pirates of the Caribbean. Several dozen Yuletide fandoms. I enjoy LotR but don't seek it out.

Not Supernatural, Buffy, anything SG-related, or Smallville.

Quote:
I sometimes read fanfiction but mostly from the computer. I will save to read off-line if it's very long, complete, in a fandom/with characters I enjoy or something like this, but most of it is on a whim, while at the computer.
I read a lot of novel-length fanfic and sometimes multi-novel series. Also, I want to read them on the train on the way to work. I've learned to copy-paste-format-convert into ebooks fairly quickly. Sometimes I throw them into RTF and put the font at 15 to 17 pts; if I feel like a bit more work for better formatting (or I want to include pics), I make PDFs sized for the PRS-505.

I also get some from Amalthia's Fanfiction ebook archive.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I usually do an edit if I am saving a fanfic story to ebook. Many authors go a little crazy on the author notes and I like to edit them out for a clean read. I used to read Buffy etc. (not so much now) and enjoy a good Terminator story now and again...the only Firely story I wrote was a Buffy cross-over
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I usually do an edit if I am saving a fanfic story to ebook. Many authors go a little crazy on the author notes and I like to edit them out for a clean read. I used to read Buffy etc. (not so much now) and enjoy a good Terminator story now and again...the only Firely story I wrote was a Buffy cross-over
Funny you mention that. I had written a Firefly fanfic story, and had considered putting it up on Smashwords, but I'm not sure how that would go over with regard to rights, even if it were done for free.
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
Funny you mention that. I had written a Firefly fanfic story, and had considered putting it up on Smashwords, but I'm not sure how that would go over with regard to rights, even if it were done for free.
Whedon has been very tolerant of fanfic. (Brust's My Own Kind of Freedom in a few formats.)

There's fanfic at Feedbooks; several of the DC2 series have been converted & uploaded.

Marvel, owned by Disney, is much less tolerant and sometimes actively works against fan presence online.