Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 2.5 Update -PDF improvements significant??

Just curious about the opinion of those who updated their Kindle DXs. How do you feel about the new PDF features? Do they significantly improve your reading experience (especially of technical/academic documents)??

Many thanks,
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Unless they've added something since the 2.5 beta, I don't think the addition of zoom/pan would be that significant for the DX. Still missing PDF link support, PDF reflow, and annotations.

For the smaller K2 screen, zoom/pan is nice, but again, it still lacks some important PDF features.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Steven_m64
Insane Programmer
Steven_m64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Zoom and pan on the K2I's smaller screen is quite nice, only thing that makes me a bit annoyed is that there are not more fine increments of zoom levels to really zoom in perfectly on a block of text.
Steven_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
So, not even improvements in speed opening PDFs or changing pages?!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
The zoom and pan would be amazing if when put in landscape mode, it actually centered the text. Its not very hard to see where the whitespace is in a pdf.

I find the system rather troubling, as you sometimes need to pan over once zoomed to finish a line of text. It can get very distracting.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
alexTheFool
alexTheFool began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
well, i would say it is a bit disappointing, still.

what is the point to jump from 100% to 150% with no intermediates?
alexTheFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I find it works for me....granted there's no hyperlinks yet.

being able to zoom helps quite a bit.

I'm expecting future versions to be more refined (i.e. being able to manually put a percentage in etc)
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
moindigo
moindigo began at the beginning.

Device: K2i
Zoom??

I just upated my Kindle last night to 2.5.2 and when I open PDF I see no zoom option. What am I missing?

Never mind...I found it. Intuitively thought it would be in the menu option while in the PDF, not having to press Aa to select. But it works.

Last edited by moindigo; 06-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.
moindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
With the PDF open, click the Aa button and you'll see the zoom options there.
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
pat.indie
Enthusiast
pat.indie is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, enTourage eDGe, 10" ASUS Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Just curious about the opinion of those who updated their Kindle DXs. How do you feel about the new PDF features? Do they significantly improve your reading experience (especially of technical/academic documents)??

Many thanks,
No big change for me. It still a little feels clumsy.
pat.indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
An improvement but not enough of one to make much of a difference.

Unfortunately if you use one of the zoom levels, the page generally won't display fully/properly on the Kindle creating more of a hassle than it's worth.
(In other words I still convert PDF's when and where possible.)
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Just a suggestion for those users that have PDF files that they regularly open and view....

edit the PDF in Photoshop of GIMP to get rid of some of the whitespace... its easy to do (just ask how if needed), although if you're talking about a 1000 page textbook, I can't really help there.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Unless they've added something since the 2.5 beta, I don't think the addition of zoom/pan would be that significant for the DX. Still missing PDF link support, PDF reflow, and annotations.

For the smaller K2 screen, zoom/pan is nice, but again, it still lacks some important PDF features.
Actually, since the zoom is only at fixed percentages, I haven't found it to be all that useful on K2 (Zoom Selection would be much more helpful). And, for me, panning is more awkward than simply using landscape mode for the added screen width.

A glaring omission is the continued lack of Table of Contents support for PDF. This makes PDF reference and study materials very difficult to navigate. Secondly, as you've already noted (pun intended), there's no annotation function, which relegates PDF usage to causal reading only.

Links and reflow would be welcome features, but I don't feel I can complain about their lack on the K2, where PDF is obviously an added bonus, not a main feature. However, I do think all of these features *should* have been included on the DX from the start. Without them, it doesn't really earn its classification as a multi-purpose Kindle-book and PDF reader (IMO).
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_m64 View Post
Zoom and pan on the K2I's smaller screen is quite nice, only thing that makes me a bit annoyed is that there are not more fine increments of zoom levels to really zoom in perfectly on a block of text.
There are fine increments of Pan, at least: SHIFT+joystick instead of just joystick.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
w126
w126 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2013), Onyx Boox M92, Kindle 2
I know that more zoom control is not that important for DX because its screen is big enough most of the time. OTOH, on the Kindle 2 the 2.5.2 update is a big improvement for me. I can now read articles with 2 or 3 columns of text quite comfortably and also zoom better in documents with irregular margins where the previous version could not auto-zoom optimally in the landscape mode. Of course, more fine-grained zoom control would be nicer.
w126 is offline   Reply With Quote