Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Spit
Spit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Potential newbie question...

Hi,

Still deciding which reader to get.

If I use Adobe digital editions to view an epub file i have converted from PDF using calibre. Is this the way it views identically in the sony 505 reader?

I have a few PDF's that I wish to view using the Sony and worry that they will convert OK.

Thanks
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
lcbannon
Enthusiast
lcbannon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have a sony 505 (new last week) and I use Calibre to convert to epub or lfr, .

The water is fine so jump in, you will love your ereader. I do.
lcbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Spit -- welcome to MobileRead. We're very glad you've joined us.

For those ePub books you're making, I'd suggest viewing both in ADE and in the ePub viewer that is built into Calibre. Between those two you should get a decent preview of the book as it will appear on the Sony reader. I don't think either one of the is precisely what you see on the Sony since their "screen" size isn't the same -- but you'll be able to see the font(s), page breaks, and other formatting. Note that neither ADE nor the ePub engine in the Sony reader support full justification, so you'll always see a ragged right margin regardless of what settings you used when creating the book.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Epubs will look more similar than PDFs in Desktop ADE to a PRS-505, but the best way to get a good idea of how your ebooks will look is Sony's Windows ebook Reader. The latest Windows Sony Reader now emulates the PRS-700, which has more font sizes than the PRS-505.

Don't forget that Sony will be releasing the PRS-300 and PRS-600 this month, presumably with upgraded Reader software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Spit

Thanks for the welcome I have been a troll for a while.

I am tempted by the new models but the price of the 505 is very attractive at the moment and I have always loved the style.

I have always been pushing myself away from the Sony as it seemed there was always trouble with the file formats. After spending more time reading on here it seems they are fixed and can be improved with Calibre etc.

I suppose I really wanted to use one for a day with a selection of my files but hey ho thats not an option.

I really want one for my holiday in 3 weeks time. If I lovethe 505 I can always upgrade in 6-12 months time.

How do you all find the weight as it seems to be twice as heavy as other ebooks?
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Thanks for the welcome I have been a troll for a while.
No, no, no. You've been a lurker, not a troll.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Spit

ah yes, lol!!

Whats a troll then?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Wikipedia says, "a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

You're definitely a former lurker.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
How do you all find the weight as it seems to be twice as heavy as other ebooks?
I can't compare the 505 to any other ereader, but I have no problem with the weight of mine - feels lighter or same weight as average pbook, obviously much lighter than hbook. (That's including the tuff luv case). Size is perfect for me.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote