Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
sethuramang
sethuramang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Music to my ears

Has anybody played around with music playback while reading their K2?
I got the Apple iPod headphones to match the whiteness of the K2. Any other recommendations for headphones?
Unfortunately sometimes I get a crackling disturbance on the headphones. I listen to Hans Zimmer score for The Last Samurai while reading. I don't know if it's a problem with the jack on the K2 or if the headphones can't handle certain ranges. No problem with audio books. The speakers on the K2 sound great.
What do you guys listen to while reading? Or do you prefer monk like silence?
sethuramang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I have heard other reports of the crackling issue on some MP3s and not others, even when those play fine on the computer. Remember the music feature is still experimental.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Any difference if you place the file in the Audible folder? I have had no problems with those files but I was using the speakers.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I prefer quiet when I read. Actually, I get distracted if there is a TV on in the room. I would not be able to read and listen to music at the same time.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Load a document file of lyrics from your favorite songs and have the Kindle robot sing them to you
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Considering the feature is experimental, I'm not *too* surprised. It's probably a matter of the decoder not quite being mature yet.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Get shure ec4s.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Get shure ec4s.
If you don't mind $175 for a pair of headphones.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I prefer quiet when I read. Actually, I get distracted if there is a TV on in the room. I would not be able to read and listen to music at the same time.
yeah, me too. I can't seem to read anything if there is any kind of distraction going on around me.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

no crackling for me but I just use the built in speakers. I enjoy ambient or classical while reading.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I can't read while I read. Gets distracting for me.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I hear the cracklings as well. I don't think they have anything to do with the headphone, since I have tried 4 different sets and have the same issue with all of them.

Do you know what is the bitrate and sampling frequency of the MP3 files you are trying to play ? It may be an issue with the Kindle not able to handle very high bitrates (the MP3s I have tried are all encoded by me at 320kbps).

This could also explain why it happens for some MP3s but not all.

I will re-encode some of the tracks with a lower bitrate (anywhere between 128kbps and 256kbps should be fine in most cases) and try again.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be that the K2 is sensative to Mp3 that are recorded with too high a level. Take a look at a lot of current top 40 CDs. You'll find a lot (if not all or most) are recorded too high and some actually distort. So my guess is that it's because of the redlining way the music industry feels it has to record music these days.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I re-encoded the problematic track with a conservative setting of 192Kbps, and I still see the same problem. The exact same file plays just fine in every other (software and hardware) MP3 player I have tried ... so I am thinking the issue is with Kindle's MP3 playback itself. May be they will fix it with an update.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote