Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
jhennd
jhennd began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Adding books to Kindle Fire

How easy is it to add books I already have to the Kindle Fire? Can it be done via USB? They are not purchased from Amazon. I have heard from others that there is only about 5 Gb on Cloud that can be used for personal documents. I assume that would include any books, music, etc.. I already have which were not purchased from Amazon. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jhennd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhennd View Post
How easy is it to add books I already have to the Kindle Fire? Can it be done via USB? They are not purchased from Amazon. I have heard from others that there is only about 5 Gb on Cloud that can be used for personal documents. I assume that would include any books, music, etc.. I already have which were not purchased from Amazon. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
It's easy to add books to the Fire. You can use USB, LAN, Dropbox or Email them to your Fire.

If you want a cloud you can use Dropbox, box.net or sugarsync.

There is personal Amazon cloud for Personal Documents which is 5GB. You have to email or use the Amazon uploader to use it.

The music is on your Cloud Drive and you get 5GB free for it. It's different then the Pdoc cloud. I have unlimited on my Music because of a special promo. I also have 10.8GB on my Dropbox which I worked hard for by getting referrals. Some people use a Wi Drive for more storage. You can stream from it as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I also have 10.8GB on my Dropbox which I worked hard for by getting referrals.
And you just got another one from me. Thanks for all your help here!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
NooN
NooN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPhone
Where can i found the Amazon uploader to upload my documents ?
NooN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooN View Post
Where can i found the Amazon uploader to upload my documents ?
Right here! It works on Windows only though. It bypasses the email part and uploads directly to the cloud.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhennd View Post

Thanks
I just recently discovered another very easy way to transfer books from your PC or Laptop to your Kindle Fire.

If you have Calibre installed on your PC or Laptop, go to "Preferences" and start up the "server" (the server will be your PC or Laptop over your wireless LAN). Then you can either connect to the Calibre server through Opera Mobile by typing in the URL (save it as a bookmark) or through FBReader by clicking on the Menu icon and choosing "Network Library" and adding your local Calibre server...the app automatically searches for it and adds it to your Network Library list.
I add a new book (mobi or epub) to Calibre on my Laptop and then leave it running; turn on the KF wireless and use either method and choose "newest" books in the Calibre interface and then download the book to the KF.
Now this will not work on the browser which comes with the Kindle Fire, you must have Opera Mobile browser installed and the FBReader ereading app. Search 1mobile.com to find those apps to sideload on your KF.
Other browsers may work with this method...not sure...maybe someone can chime in with others that work.
The nice thing about the FBReader method is that it automatically searches for the Calibre server and gives it the name of your computer.

HTH

Last edited by Hope; 02-11-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: typo
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
NooN
NooN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPhone
Thanks Blossom

My life is easier now
NooN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Now this will not work on the browser which comes with the Kindle Fire,
I'm not sure what part you mean won't work with it. You can certainly connect to Calibre's content server and download books with it. But to read them, you'll need to either move the files from the download folder manually or use a third party reader.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm not sure what part you mean won't work with it. You can certainly connect to Calibre's content server and download books with it. But to read them, you'll need to either move the files from the download folder manually or use a third party reader.
The FBReader Network Library only works with the Opera Mobile Browser and not the KF Silk Browser. Of course, Calibre works with other browsers. Sorry, for the misunderstanding.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote