Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
oski24601
oski24601 began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet pc
Best ebook software to use on Tablet PC?

Hi,

I'm using a Lenovo X61 tablet. What do folks consider the best all around ereader to use with this hardware, in terms of display quality and ease of use? (Or maybe I need a few to cover all the different ebook formats?)

Thanks!
oski24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oski24601 View Post
Hi,

I'm using a Lenovo X61 tablet. What do folks consider the best all around ereader to use with this hardware, in terms of display quality and ease of use? (Or maybe I need a few to cover all the different ebook formats?)

Thanks!
You will certainly want Microsoft Reader. Get the latest 2.6.1 version as it has special features for Tablet PC. This will let you read .lit files and there are a whole host of them at: http://www.microsoft.com/reader

In addition you will want other readers as you decide you want books in formats that those readers support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
As Dale says, the Tablet enhanced version of MS Reader is certainly worth having, if you read LIT ebooks (DRM or not). For reading many other non-DRM ebook formats, you also want FBReader. It doesn't support style sheets, but everything is highly customizable, so you can make the text look any way you want.

The other advantage of installing MS Reader is that if you have to buy ebooks with DRM, you can buy the LIT version, remove the DRM with Convert LIT and convert the HTML to something else. You can also read the straight HTML in FBReader. Note that if you Zip up several related HTML files, FBReader can open the Zip file.

Note to moderators: as I have given no more details about removing DRM than JSWolf has on many occasions, there should be no reason to edit this post.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try uBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com). Bit of a quirky UI but when you get used to it, a fabulous bookreader which reads a wide range of (non-DRM) formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Seconded on the uBook. To get the full version does take a few bucks ($15 currently but can be used free as long as you don't mind the nagging) but has a very nice feature list.

Another one that is oddly nice is the yBook software (free). Not nearly the feature set of uBook but works VERY well on tablets and laptops. The key points on this program is formating the screen into 1 or 2 pages (graphically important when reading in regular landscape mode since it presents the text in roughly the same sizes and proportions of a regular book) and the "click anywhere on page to turn" which works nicely with touch pens and those of us with sloppy mousing habits.
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I agree- uBook is well worth the money.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
oski24601

Thanks! Do any of these read non-DRM Sony ebooks?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I agree that uBook is a nice program. I used to use it myself when I had a PDA. However, I would go with FBReader, since it is free, is available for Windows and reads many of the same formats as uBook. If you were using a Windows PDA, then uBook would be the choice, as FBReader isn't available for that platform.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski24601 View Post
Thanks! Do any of these read non-DRM Sony ebooks?
Nope. Nothing does. I understand that you can install the Sony Connect software and use it to read with. I haven't tried it, and for me, that's too much trouble to go to for a niche/proprietary format. Anything that is available in the Sony format should be available in other, more widely supported formats.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Another one that is oddly nice is the yBook software (free). Not nearly the feature set of uBook but works VERY well on tablets and laptops. The key points on this program is formating the screen into 1 or 2 pages (graphically important when reading in regular landscape mode since it presents the text in roughly the same sizes and proportions of a regular book) and the "click anywhere on page to turn" which works nicely with touch pens and those of us with sloppy mousing habits.
If you like the two-page layout, you should take a look at CoolReader 2. It has a very nice two-page layout and even allows you to change backgrounds to look like real paper. I have both CoolReader 2 and FBReader on my Tablet PC.

Don't bother with CoolReader 3, as it is completely different. CoolReader also reads several ebook formats, although not as many as FBReader.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
MS Reader works fairly well. I also use Zinio to read magazines - I really like it.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
stxopher
Nameless Being

Whoops! Forgot all about CoolReader2. That used to be my main reading program too! Well, it was before coughing up the cash for uBook. But as a free reader it is a nice one. Also agree with you about CR3. Nice potential but not usable in its current state.

Now if it just had the "click anywhere on page to turn" like yBook I would still be using CR2 for my fast and dirty reading. (Curse my laziness and bad eyes!)
Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Given the X61T's large screen, why not use your favorite PDF reader? Questions about reflowability are largely moot with the large display, and there are many advantages to seeing the books in their original, well-formatted print layouts.

I use my X61T this way all the time, and it's a particularly great way to read graphics-intensive content (such as comics, graphic novels and non-fiction titles with illustrations).
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #14
oski24601

Thanks. What pdf reader would you recommend (particularly one that enables me to insert comments)? I'm new to the ebook world.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is an LRF reader in the libprs500 package. It is a better screen reader than the Sony eLib software.

For reading on a PC screen I have started using the current PC version of Mobipocket. It gives a nice three column display and is fast. (I also have it on my cell phone as a backup reader to the Sony.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote