Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
1) Sinxce I only charge my eReader every week or so, that means the life of the battery will be around 1000 weeks or almost 20 years.
Sorry, not true. The math works but these batteries start to die from the date of manufacturer. Under the best of circumstances, they last 3-4 years.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quite true, I'm afraid. Modern lithium batteries begin to deteriorate the moment the leave the factory. You can minimise the rate of decay via partial charging and temperature control, but it can't be eliminated.

This is why modern devices arrive partially charged.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Quite true, I'm afraid. Modern lithium batteries begin to deteriorate the moment the leave the factory. You can minimize the rate of decay via partial charging and temperature control, but it can't be eliminated.

You didn't understand what I said. It is untrue that he will get 20 years of life just based on the number of charges.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #19
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
You didn't understand what I said.
...and what gave you that idea, chas?

I was attempting to agree with your statement, but if you wish to argue the point so be it.

I'm seeing a disheartening trend towards combative attitudes and behaviour among many people on this forum... is it just me?
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Quite true, I'm afraid. Modern lithium batteries begin to deteriorate the moment the leave the factory. You can minimise the rate of decay via partial charging and temperature control, but it can't be eliminated.

No, the reason they come partially charged is that they degrade it left fully charged for long periods of time.

And they are destroyed by being discharged too far. Since they have a small, but definite, self discharge rate, they are normally stored at 1/2 charge. This limits the damage from fully charged and limits the possibility of self-discharge takingthem too low.

And Ihave lipo packs used in RC flying that are well over 3 years old that perform fine. And they go through much more heavy use (high discharge, high temps, fully charged to almost fully discharged).
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I agree that 20 years is unlikely, but 5+ years is fully within the capability.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I sympathize with the desire for AA batteries. I myself prefer them vastly on game controllers - gimme 2 AA eneloop batteries any day over a charging pack setup.

But on an e-ink reader...the Nook touch really does get almost a month of life, even with heavy, heavy reading, at least with wireless off. The Kindle does well also.

One of the few cases I'll not choose AAs.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #23
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
...and what gave you that idea, chas?

I was attempting to agree with your statement, but if you wish to argue the point so be it.

I'm seeing a disheartening trend towards combative attitudes and behaviour among many people on this forum... is it just me?

My comment was hardly combative, but I see what you were saying. You were saying my statement was true not the other poster's.

My mistake, part of the problem these days when no one is face to face.

Sorry.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I agree that 20 years is unlikely, but 5+ years is fully within the capability.
I would agree.

I have a laptop that I purchased in 1999. It had a new battery in November 2004 and it still going!
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aa batteries, aaa batteries, replaceable batteries