Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
One Trillion minutes reading challenge

Does anyone know how on earth kobo are measuring this? They have a counter, but are they simply making the figures up, or is there some science behind this?

http://www.kobobooks.com/readon_join

I don't have a wifi kobo but I have joined, there is no way they can tell how many minutes I have read. They are ignoring the questions on facebook asking them how it works.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
I have been wondering about this myself. My best guess is that they may be using sales figures and page counts. IE If they sold 230 books with 5000 pages and used a 1 minute per page average they would count that instantly as 5000 minutes. This is just a guess but it is the only way that I can see it working and not just being made up.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
For folks using Reading Life--and there are tons of them using the various i-Apps and now Android--not to mention that it is part of the new Touch, page counting is part of what it does.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I use reading life on my android - but only for 10% or so of my reading (can't stand the LCD screen). If this is the only way they are counting, they'll be missing a lot of minutes - and it seems strange that they don't mention it anywhere on FB or the info on the challenge.

And on a related topic, I want my Juggernaut award! I read War and Peace - but since 99.9% of it was read on my kobo rather than my phone, I missed out. Oh well, at least I know I've done it - great read too, even it if took me months.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote