Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How to tell if an eBook is Topaz before purchase?

How can I tell if an eBook sold via Amazon is in Topaz format or AZW format? Topaz are 100% useless to me and I don't want to be stuck with them. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Someone said that the Topaz books don't list a file size. That seems to be true, and it's worked for me so far.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Someone said that the Topaz books don't list a file size. That seems to be true, and it's worked for me so far.
Seems to be true from what I've found so far.

Also if you download the sample and it has a .azw1 or .tpz extension, that's a Topaz file.

More on Topaz here...
http://www.latenightcode.com/devblog...ations-part-i/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can I tell if an eBook sold via Amazon is in Topaz format or AZW format? Topaz are 100% useless to me and I don't want to be stuck with them. Thanks!
When you download a sample, there will be a 1 or 2 next to the .azw file.

Also, page numbers instead of file size.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
A good example

"Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein. Lists 320 pages, and definitely a topaz format. Tor publishing. Lists no file size
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all! I'll now be able to grab the sample of Glory Road and see if Kindle for iPod works with Topaz. I hope not.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Topaz eBooks do display on the iPod's Kindle app.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you all! I'll now be able to grab the sample of Glory Road and see if Kindle for iPod works with Topaz. I hope not.
Can you get samples on the iPod? I didn't know that was possible. I didn't think you could access the Amazon store via the software and you have to go through safari to buy a book, add it to your media library then d/l it to the Kindle app?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
pookielocks
pookielocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
what exactly is topaz?
pookielocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielocks View Post
what exactly is topaz?
Topaz is the Kindle DRM that has yet to be broken. That's why no one wants to buy a book encumbered with it.

The other DRM on Kindle ebooks is Mobipocket DRM. That has long since been broken.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Topaz is the Kindle DRM that has yet to be broken. That's why no one wants to buy a book encumbered with it.
Yes, but it is not just the DRM. Topaz book are some PDF like format that is "really slow" on the Kindle. The further you get into the book the longer it takes to turn each page. Also, the layout is actually BAD characters dropped under the line and cut off.

I am glad the only Topaz book I have was a freebee. I won't buy one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Topaz also seems to allow for embedded fonts.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Actually, topaz isn't *quite* as slow on the Kindle 2. Yes, it's slow to open a book -- specially to open it in the middle, if you've already been reading it. Yes, it's slow to come out of sleep mode, if the book is open underneath.

*BUT* page turning as you read is quite snappy. I think they are pre-loading the next screenful. If you are actually reading the book (i.e. taking a little time on each page) the next page is almost immediately there. If you are paging through to find where you were, that's still slower. But the pre-loading is at least an improvement!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, but it is not just the DRM. Topaz book are some PDF like format that is "really slow" on the Kindle. The further you get into the book the longer it takes to turn each page. Also, the layout is actually BAD characters dropped under the line and cut off.
Yes, same here. Being unable to strip the DRM is not the only reason I avoid the Topaz books like the plague. Mind you, it's a sufficient reason for me -- I don't buy anything (books, music, video) with DRM I can't remove.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Good tip. thanks for that
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote