Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm done with the Fire

Well, after seeing the new iPad Mini, I guess I'm canceling my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" order. By the beginning of the month, I will have already gotten the new iPad in my hands, and the Kindle Fire HD will still be weeks away.

I think there will be many others who haven't got their hands on one yet doing the same thing. In the end, with all the taxes, I'm pretty much paying the same price anyway, except the iPad wouldn't have the ads everywhere.

Oh well.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I guess, not worth it to me. Your 1st gen Kindle Fire has more resolution than the iPad Mini. Plus $329 for 16gb is over the top.

If things were better I was gonna cancel my 32gb fire hd, but I'm sticking with what I ordered.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Well, after seeing the new iPad Mini, I guess I'm canceling my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" order. By the beginning of the month, I will have already gotten the new iPad in my hands, and the Kindle Fire HD will still be weeks away.

I think there will be many others who haven't got their hands on one yet doing the same thing. In the end, with all the taxes, I'm pretty much paying the same price anyway, except the iPad wouldn't have the ads everywhere.

Oh well.
If I didn't already have a entire stable filled with 7" Android tablets, I'd get an iPad Mini also. But I will be upgrading my iPad 2 to the latest iPad 4. (and handing down the iPad 2 to my wife who is currently using my old original iPad).

I found it interesting that Apple set its sights on Google and the Nexus 7 (using the N7 for comparison) and made no mention of Amazon's tablets.

It makes me wonder if Apple is more concerned about competition from a less restrictive ecosystem than a more closed one. It will be interesting to see what if anything Amazon does in light of the iPad Mini announcement.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

The iPad mini with its lower 162 ppi resolution (compared to the Fire HD at 216 ppi) and higher price tag of $329 for 16GB (compared to the Fire HD at $199) just didn't appeal to me as a viable option for something I would use mostly as a reader. I'm very happy with my iPad3 and really see no need to take a huge step down in resolution just to be able to hold it more comfortably while reading. If I didn't already own the iPad3 then it would be an attractive alternative as I definitely like iOS better than Android.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
There using last years technology and charging a premium price. Not for me.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
There using last years technology and charging a premium price.
Setting themselves up beautifully for the retina iPad mini 2 in six months' time...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My 32 Gb Kindle HD 7" is due to me on Oct 25. It only costs me $ 239.75. Plus, Apple products are always too expensive and too PROTECTIVE.

Amazon products are always cheaper and NOT protected in the same way.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Setting themselves up beautifully for the retina iPad mini 2 in six months' time...

Graham
That's what I'm thinking too!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The Kindle Fire is 1024×600, the Mini is 1024x768.

Because I have owned an iPhone since 2007, I am highly invested in the Apple Ecosystem. I have lots and lots and lots and lots of apps that would get used daily on this Mini. I have Snapseed for photography, Garageband for music, iMovie for video, and am planning on getting Paper. My Kindle books will live happily on it, and so will my comiXology comics, and Zinio magazines. Plus I'll be finally able to use my iTunes U iBooks content.

16GB is fine for me. I'm used to being limited to that coming from an iPhone 4.

Apple didn't focus on the Kindle Fire because it didn't need to. The press and the initial response did it for them. Paying that much money for a device to get ads all over the place? I don't mind it myself, but then why would I get it when I can have something for the same price (tax wise) that's a lot better for my use and doesn't have advertisements? I can still use my Amazon Prime, my Kindle Books, browse the Amazon storefront, and have my Amazon MP3, so it's not a problem for me. I've been holding out so long on jumping on the iPad and it's finally at a price and size that works for me.

I think Apple knows that Amazon is going to do whatever they can to change things around when it comes to tablet apps. The Kindle Fire is great, and will only get better. The developer conference next month will bring great things to the HD devices.

Amazon also has a great track record of being the only company making Android devices that actually get like 10 updates in its cycle. No one else does that, not even Samsung or Motorola.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Original Kindle Fire is 7" with 1024 by 600 and 170 ppi.

The Kindle Fire HD is 7" with 1280 by 800 and 216 ppi.

The iPad mini is 7.9" with 1024 by 768 and 162 ppi. That's slightly lower resolution than the year old Fire and only 75% of the resolution of the Fire HD.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My 32 Gb Kindle HD 7" is due to me on Oct 25. It only costs me $ 239.75. Plus, Apple products are always too expensive and too PROTECTIVE.

How so? I find Amazon products to be MORE protected.

The thing that I find most irritating about the Kindle Fire is that it treats sideloaded media as if it has a deadly virus and needs to be quarantined. The KF does not integrate books and videos from non-Amazon sources. It does a fair job with music though.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Jessica's reasons above are sound enough for switching to the iPad mini, but the thread can be useful for comparisons for others.

It really depends what you're going to use your tablet for. Web browsing and Comixology will be fine on that resolution in that size screen, but I think you'll be scrolling around magazines in Zinio quite a lot.

If you're more interested in video then the sharper, more widescreen Fire makes more sense, particularly as it has reasonable sound from twin speakers: I'm not sure the stereo separation of the two speakers will make a huge difference, but the iPad's not renowned for the richness of sound from its single speaker.

Again, if you're going to use headphones that's a moot point.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you are invested in Apple products, go with the iPad.

If you are invested in Amazon products, go with Kindle Fire HD.

Going back many years I've always been able to buy Dell PC's for half the price of Apples and was well satisfied with Dell. Dell is also not protective while Apple always was protective especially with music.

Here are some problems just disclosed today on the iPad Mini:

1. The screen of the iPad Mini is 7.9 inches on the diagonal, making it larger than the 7-inch screens of the competitors.

2. Battery life for the new device is reported to be 10 hours.

3. The iPad Mini will not come with retina display, as the newest iPad and iPhone do. Apple had heavily touted the retina display in previous devices.

The big reason for us eBook readers to stay loyal to Amazon is the prices on eBooks. Apple joined a group of publishers to keep prices high. Amazon fought to keep prices low. Amazon is consumer friendly while Apple wants to keep brand name prices high.

My main reason is that all my songs are purchased from Amazon and do not have device or other limits. Apple protects all songs including those we may have purchased from Amazon and limits the numbers of devices one can play them.

For a nominal fee one can eliminate special offers on the Amazon Kindles. I have done that on my units.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I rather have the KFHD as an UPGRADE to the original than this MINI downgrade whatever any day!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

It's $249 on Amazon's site. Did you have credits or something?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote