Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Kindle Touch sort by recent doesn't work

My Kindle touch stoped organizing books by most recent.
I tried restarting the kindle and it stayed the same.
I then made a factory reset and it didn't fixed it either.
I deleted all my collections and did another factory reset.
Turned on the wifi, registered the kindle and purchased some new free books from amazon to test (didn't connect the kindle to calibre or transferred any books this way), but it still doesn't organize my books by most recent.
I set the clock manually to the correct time in my country and tuned on the wifi since I read it automatically sets the correct time, altough it doesn't seem to do so when i purposely set the wrong time manually.

My Kindle touch currently has the 5.1.0 firmware.
I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Any help?

thanks.

Last edited by Mayr; 06-13-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Mayr
Connoisseur

After leaving the kindle with the wifi on and in sleep mode it seems to be fixed.
When I turned it on again I noticed that the hour had changed (although it isn't the correct one, I manually changed it afterwards) and the sort by recent function was working again.

So if someone has this problem I guess the solution is turn on the wifi and put the Kindle to sleep for some time. Maybe enough time so it indexes all the books?
Not sure if the factory reset is needed tho, guess you have to try.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
When this occurs syncing with Amazon will resolve it. The time/clock is reset and your "most recent" will display correctly.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Broken" most recently read display is ALWAYS caused by the Kindle's clock not being correctly set (which will happen after a reboot, for example). As the previous poster said, synching your Kindle with Amazon will fix it.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Mayr
Connoisseur

I tried to sync it a few times and it didn't work.
Only after I put it to sleep and waited about 10 minutes.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
elldan
elldan doesn't litterelldan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am having the same problem w/Kindle For PC. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Mayr
Connoisseur

happened again... I tried syncing with Amazon a couple of times but it didn't help.
I'll do another factory reset.
It is going to be my 3rd one, could it be a problem with the Kindle Touch unit itself?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Completely off-topic: animated avatars are incredibly annoying. Please fix this.

On-topic: Please explain your problem exactly. What are you expecting to see, and what are you seeing?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Mayr
Connoisseur

Has I explained in the 1st post my kindle touch stopped organizing books by most recent.
I open a book in the middle of the list of a collection, for example, and it doesn't jump to the top of the list. It stays in the same place.
Just made a factory reset and registed the kindle again but the problem still persists.
transferred a couple of books to my kindle and they don't sort by most recent.
The indexing has finished and in the "sort by" drop down "recent" is the option selected.

Getting a little feed up with this problem, I don't understand what is causing it.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you reset your Kindle the clock loses its setting. The Kindle needs to talk to Amazon's servers in order to correctly set the clock. The Kindle allows you to set the time locally on the Kindle itself, but not the date; the date can only be set when the Kindle talks to Amazon's servers, and hence the "sort by recent" won't work until you do this. You'll need to open the book again before it will get the correct timestamp and appear in the correct place in the "recent" list.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Mayr
Connoisseur

I just did a factory reset and have now on my kindle 5 books including the kindle users guide.
I turned on my wifi and selected "sync and check for items".
I deleted all my collections and waited for the indexing to end.
Opened and closed all 5 books and still it doesn't sort correctly...
Any other ideas?

Thank you very much for the help
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
I just did a factory reset and have now on my kindle 5 books including the kindle users guide.
I turned on my wifi and selected "sync and check for items".
I deleted all my collections and waited for the indexing to end.
Opened and closed all 5 books and still it doesn't sort correctly...
Any other ideas?

Thank you very much for the help
Yes... other ideas, but only if you're technically inclined. The collections database on the K5 is contained in the file /var/local/cc.db. This is a plain SQLite database which you can open using the sqlite command-line tools, or any graphical editor that supports SQLite connectors. The "entries" table contains (unsurprisingly) all your content entries, including books. This table includes a column named "p_lastAccess", which contains the last access timestamp for an item. It would be interesting to know whether this field gets updated correctly.

- If it doesn't get updated correctly, then your content database is most likely screwed up.
- If it does get updated correctly, then the display logic is broken.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Completely off-topic: animated avatars are incredibly annoying. Please fix this. ...
That "chomping beaver" avatar did not bother me so much before, but now that you have drawn my full attention to it with your post, it has become FAR MORE annoying. Thanks!

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-29-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That "chomping beaver" avatar did not bother me so much before, but now that you have drawn my full attention to it with your post, it has become FAR MORE annoying. Thanks!
I gotta agree. I couldn't do more than skim read the posts before moving to the next one in the thread.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Mayr
Connoisseur

off topic: What has been seen... :P

on topic: I have further developments.
Before going to dinner I connected my kindle to a power source and left it with wifi on in sleep mode.
Came back and the sorting finally works.
Also the clock changed the time, it was set (by me) to 21:00 and when i came back it now indicates 15:00 showing that it finally has synced with the amazon server i guess.

Now the question is what made it finally sync? The fact that it was connected to a power source? Or does it just need some time to finally talk to the amazon server?
Also, and most importantly, how can I prevent this from happening again?

ixtab tahnk you very much for the input. I don't know how to work with sqlite but if this happens again I think I can learn just enough to read the data regarding the dates, thanks for the idea!
Closed Thread