Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sock Puzzle

After the extremely hard prisoners puzzle, here's an easy classic:

I keep my socks in a drawer. Every morning I get a clean pair out of the drawer. But I'm lazy — I never bother to pair up my socks after they're washed, I just bung them in the drawer as singles, and pick out a pair each morning. I don't really mind what colour socks I wear each day (so long as they're a pair), although I do like a little bit of variety, so I have more than one colour of sock.

This morning the drawer stuck — I could just open it enough to reach in to grab a sock, but I couldn't see what colour sock I was bringing out.

In the drawer (as I later worked out) were 10 black socks, 8 blue socks, and 5 brown socks (one got eaten by the laundry).

My bad luck didn't end with the stuck drawer. It took me the maximum number of goes it could have done to end up with a pair of socks

How many socks did I have to take out to end up with one pair, given that I was unlucky in the socks I pulled out?

Answers in spoiler tags please, even for this old chestnut.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-19-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: edited to make it clear I just want a pair of any colour.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Spoiler:

It seems to me that the number of socks of each colour is a red herring; all that matters is the number of different colours.

You have three different colours. In the worst possible scenario, your first three selections will get you 1 black, 1 blue, and 1 brown sock. A fourth selection is guaranteed to get you a pair.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Spoiler:

It seems to me that the number of socks of each colour is a red herring; all that matters is the number of different colours.

You have three different colours. In the worst possible scenario, your first three selections will get you 1 black, 1 blue, and 1 brown sock. A fourth selection is guaranteed to get you a pair.
Exactly right. Where were you for the prison puzzle?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
If I understood correctly
Spoiler:
Most unlucky decision on the color would be brown, so asuming you decided on brown socks and are extremely unlucky, you'd take out all black and brown socks before getting the second brown one, so 10 + 8 (black + blue) + 2 brown ones = 20

edit:
Spoiler:
After reading the above spoiler:
It seems I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted some specific colour.

Last edited by Delta Tango; 06-19-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Exactly right. Where were you for the prison puzzle?
He's probably still inside trying to work out how to escape!!!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well - I think I can get this one.

Spoiler:
If you draw them out 1 by 1, after drawing out 3, the fourth sock has to match one of the original 3. So the fewest tries would be 2 (if you're lucky), the most tries would be 4 (if you're me).
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Spot on!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Spot on!
The first one I've been able to solve!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Tango View Post
If I understood correctly
Spoiler:
Most unlucky decision on the color would be brown, so asuming you decided on brown socks and are extremely unlucky, you'd take out all black and brown socks before getting the second brown one, so 10 + 8 (black + blue) + 2 brown ones = 20

edit:
Spoiler:
After reading the above spoiler:
It seems I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted some specific colour.
I can see how you might have misunderstood, I'll add some wording to clarify.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Here's my try:
Spoiler:
Seems that since there are only 3 colors and even while being unlucky, you'd still have a pair by the 4th sock.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Spoiler:
3 colours, so even if the first 3 socks you pull are different, the fourth has to match one of them. So 4 tries.

Wow, that was refreshingly easy
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Here's my try:
Spoiler:
Seems that since there are only 3 colors and even while being unlucky, you'd still have a pair by the 4th sock.
Spot on.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Spoiler:
3 colours, so even if the first 3 socks you pull are different, the fourth has to match one of them. So 4 tries.

Wow, that was refreshingly easy
I thought everyone deserved a simple puzzle after the tar-pit of the last one. We even got HarryT to give an answer!

(& yes, you've got the right answer too.)
Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
That one was easy!
Spoiler:
4 socks
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I no longer wish you in that wonderful little prison you constructed, pdurrant.

I better have this one right, as everyone seems to think it was so easy...
Spoiler:
I stuck my hand in and grabbed a Black sock.

(So, as I'm usually late, and it always takes the longest possible time for me when I'm late..)

2nd time- Blue or Brown

3rd time - Blue or Brown (which ever I didn't get the 2nd time)

4th time- Eureka! It doesn't matter which color I get, it has to match one of the other 3 I already have , but only "given that I was unlucky in the socks I pulled out" previously.

answer: 4
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote