Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #121
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Gentium book basic

I use this font often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	852.3 KB
ID:	33576  

Last edited by gregcd; 08-03-2009 at 09:01 PM.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #122
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
Gentium book basic

I use this font often.
Yeeps! Straight quotes are tools of the devil!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #123
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Lol yes that is The Guardian (UK) for you.

Would be nice if ADE defaulted to hyperlinks in black instead of grey.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #124
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
This font looks nice and wide, I like this ; it reminds me of Caecilia, although it is simpler (simplier?)

Thanks for the tip !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Gentium book basic

I use this font often.
That does look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #126
gregcd
Connoisseur

I'm pleased to announce i got grandesign neue serif working last night.
It seems the sony cant handle either long font filenames, or filenames with spaces in them. All that is required is renaming the font to a short simple name.

Grandesign neue serif is a slab serif font, similar in some ways to the commercial font caecilia.

see screenshot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rotat.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	33661  
Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #127
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

It look really great, that's (IMHO) the best looking font since Caecilia.
Great find, gregcd !
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm pleased to announce i got grandesign neue serif working last night.
It seems the sony cant handle either long font filenames, or filenames with spaces in them. All that is required is renaming the font to a short simple name.

Grandesign neue serif is a slab serif font, similar in some ways to the commercial font caecilia.

see screenshot
Nice font. Too wide margins.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #129
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Actually, a kinda-wide left margin is useful when reading at night with the Sony cover-with-light ; the plastic block they use for lighting the screen generates a shadow that is more or less 15 pixels wide, at the left of the screen...
And a right margin is useful because of ADE's page numbers...
Anyway, this is a matter of personal preferences, but I format my ebooks almost like this.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Actually, a kinda-wide left margin is useful when reading at night with the Sony cover-with-light ; the plastic block they use for lighting the screen generates a shadow that is more or less 15 pixels wide, at the left of the screen...
And a right margin is useful because of ADE's page numbers...
Anyway, this is a matter of personal preferences, but I format my ebooks almost like this.
I find the page number on the right to be a non-issue. I can easily read the word that the page number is on. Plus, I do not mind an occasional shadow on the left (depending on the light source). Also, I like to have as much text on screen as possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #131
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I am currently using the following:

Caecilia Bold = Standard
Caecilia Heavy = Bold
Caecilia Bold Italic = Italic
Caecilia Heavy Italic = Bold Italic

This makes a very readable font for the small zoom on standard calibre conversion and also makes for excellent reading in lower light conditions with the sony reader light.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Caecilia";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Bold.otf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Heavy.otf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-BoldItalic.otf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-HeavyItalic.otf);
}

p {
  margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt
}

body {
  font-family: "Caecilia", serif;
}
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #132
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Sorry, forgot to add a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	33902  
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Looks good. But I do think the indent is a bit large. With ePub, I use an indent of 1.1em.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #134
gregcd
Connoisseur

Ive loaded caecilia on to my sony at last; it looks great.
I was surprised to find it was released way back in 1992. Some things age well.

This is the standard version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rot124432423423.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	34121  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #135
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Hmmm... In previous surveys here at Mobileread, most respondents indicated that they are generally satisfied with the second generation e-ink screens and almost nobody felt they needed higher resolution.

However, the majority of font sample screenshots from this thread show that people like robust letterforms with uniform stroke width and slab serifs (and possibly large font sizes, its unclear if people are showing their normal reading size or are showing larger sizes for easier comparison on-line).

I bet this means that the pixel density and the contrast of the screen aren't yet high enough to be very satisfactory at all or else we could choose more delicate fonts.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts