Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Post help configuring usbnetwork to work with Mac OS X

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Solved.
Poster was trying to use UYK to install packages.

Could you help me to configure usbnetwork PW3 to work with Mac OS X 10.11.5

I have already installed and make work subnetwork on PW3 but on the other side (Mac) can't make it work, I add to networks a RNDIS/Ethernet manual connect IPv4: 192.168.15.1 but do I need to make something else, tried turning on and off my mac wifi, also activating share ssh network and also share internet from wifi to RNDIS/Ethernet but ssh command and telnet 192.168.15.244 doesn't connect to my PW3

Thank you very much for your help
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoralvarez View Post

Could you help me to configure usbnetwork PW3 to work with Mac OS X 10.11.5

I have already installed and make work subnetwork on PW3 but on the other side (Mac) can't make it work, I add to networks a RNDIS/Ethernet manual connect IPv4: 192.168.15.1 but do I need to make something else, tried turning on and off my mac wifi, also activating share ssh network and also share internet from wifi to RNDIS/Ethernet but ssh command and telnet 192.168.15.244 doesn't connect to my PW3

Thank you very much for your help
There is a thread with post on that specific question.

Our forum's index page -
Near last, top, blue bar -
Find 'prefix' dropdown box -
Select 'Tutorial' -
To the right, find click box "show threads" -
Click it.

At least I think it was prefixed as 'Tutorial' - if not you'll have to search for it (it most likely has 'Mac' in the title).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I vaguely remember even posting screenshots of OS X's network settings thingy at one point...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that tutorial thread is indeed the one where the author included pictures.
If not, then there are more than one of them around here (which is very possible also).
Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you mean the tutorial for the serial jailbreak, yes there are pictures.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I vaguely remember even posting screenshots of OS X's network settings thingy at one point...
I found one you post Mac OSX settings with one image but that has another manual IP and I dont know the other IPto get kindle, I know from another tutorial you posted that yo need to know the "2 ends" of usb cable one is the computer IP and another one is for accessing Kindle (PW3 in my case)...
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found one you post Mac OSX settings with one image but that has another manual IP and I dont know the other IPto get kindle, I know from another tutorial you posted that yo need to know the "2 ends" of usb cable one is the computer IP and another one is for accessing Kindle (PW3 in my case)...
On your USB cable, the big end fits into the computer and the little end fits into the kindle.
He is saying make sure you have the proper cable. And yes, there are people that don't realize the ends need to be different.
You must make sure it is a data cable and not just a charge cable.
The way to test this is if your computer doesn't acknowledge the device after 2 tries, find a different cable.
I have forgotten if plugging into the device first or plugging into the computer first works better.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The Kindle end is set in the configuration file that was installed on the Kindle when you installed USBnetworking.

The PC end is set as shown in the picture.

If you want to access the PC (from a program) - use the PC's address
If you want to access the Kindle (from a program) - use the Kindle's address.
Same cable, two ends, two devices (one at each end of the cable), two addresses, one for each end of the cable.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
The Kindle end is set in the configuration file that was installed on the Kindle when you installed USBnetworking.

The PC end is set as shown in the picture.

If you want to access the PC (from a program) - use the PC's address
If you want to access the Kindle (from a program) - use the Kindle's address.
Same cable, two ends, two devices (one at each end of the cable), two addresses, one for each end of the cable.
Can I assume that is the Mac Address or do you need the IP address from your provider?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Can I assume that is the Mac Address or do you need the IP address from your provider?
I may be answering the wrong question.

I thought the person wanted to access the Kindle from their Mac PC over the USB networking cable.

If they want to access the Kindle from the Public Internet through their PC - then that is a much different set of answers.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I may be answering the wrong question.

I thought the person wanted to access the Kindle from their Mac PC over the USB networking cable.

If they want to access the Kindle from the Public Internet through their PC - then that is a much different set of answers.
I was asking about the kindle address.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

It is preset in the configuration file that is installed with USBnetworking.

I think NiLuJe defaults the configuration file the same on all models now - 192.168.15.244

The only reason to change that is if you have that address already assigned on your local network.

BIG NOTE:
It does not matter if your local network is 192.168.something-else.x
Your PC's networking and routing can deal with more than a single network range at the same time. (Yes, even on Windows.)

Hmm....
Typically, 16 of them, new devices probably 32 or more.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It is preset in the configuration file that is installed with USBnetworking.

I think NiLuJe defaults the configuration file the same on all models now - 192.168.15.244

The only reason to change that is if you have that address already assigned on your local network.

BIG NOTE:
It does not matter if your local network is 192.168.something-else.x
Your PC's networking and routing can deal with more than a single network range at the same time. (Yes, even on Windows.)

Hmm....
Typically, 16 of them, new devices probably 32 or more.
My ISP said not to stream and download to more than 10 at a time because the speed will slow down.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Over Wifi?

The poster needs to get USB networking operating over the USB cable FIRST -
When everything is working that way, it is simple (with the KUAL menu that USB networking installs) to enable ssh over Wifi.

Note:
Public key authorization is the recommended setup.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Over Wifi?

The poster needs to get USB networking operating over the USB cable FIRST -
When everything is working that way, it is simple (with the KUAL menu that USB networking installs) to enable ssh over Wifi.

Note:
Public key authorization is the recommended setup.
You were talking networks. I was thinking modem on one network.
My bad.