Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Flexible E-Book devices: One step closer with flexible batteries

There's no telling when flexible e-book devices will make it to market, but what we can say with almost absolute certainty is that before such technology arrives, we'll need something to make batteries more flexible (in the truest sense). Fortunately, Taiwanese company ProLogium has been working for some time on the development of so called FPC Lithium-Ceramic batteries; these batteries are ultra-thin, bendable, and supposedly extremely safe to use.

The good folks from Mobilegeeks.de had a chance to visit their labs, and they shared their findings in the video below.

For more details check out this company presentation (PDF).

Thanks to MobileReader owly for the tip. [via Tablet News]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
That's really great. I'm waiting for bigger Eink deveices for PDF files and these deveices should have a flexible screen for a better reading experience. Looks like this is a step further into this direction.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
What extraordinary technology!!!

Bring it on ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The volume seems quite small compared to Li-Ion batteries today. I'm guessing it would have a pretty small capacity.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Why would anyone want a flexible e reader ??? really ??? it's nice technology but looks like a solution in search of a problem I would imagine the market to be very small for flexible e readers... of course there may be numerous other applications
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Why would anyone want a flexible e reader ??? really ??? it's nice technology but looks like a solution in search of a problem I would imagine the market to be very small for flexible e readers... of course there may be numerous other applications
The main point for making them flexible isn't that you can fold it around or mess with the flexibility but rather the following points:

1. Better Stability, Current E-Ink Devices use glass for the display which makes it easier to break. You can drop devices with the new plastic screen and it wont shatter like glass

2. Weight: Displays with plastic substrate are alot lighter, that enables the manufacturers to make lighter readers

Also with these flexible batteries it is possible to use the limited amount of space more efficiently for device manufacturers
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
For me personally the primary benefit would be if it were also less fragile. I'd worry about it less in a backpack while hiking. The secondary benefit would be to cut down on glare when reading in direct sunlight.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
The main point for making them flexible isn't that you can fold it around or mess with the flexibility but rather the following points:

1. Better Stability, Current E-Ink Devices use glass for the display which makes it easier to break. You can drop devices with the new plastic screen and it wont shatter like glass

2. Weight: Displays with plastic substrate are alot lighter, that enables the manufacturers to make lighter readers

Also with these flexible batteries it is possible to use the limited amount of space more efficiently for device manufacturers
And eventually you could fold it up and stick it in your pocket.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
One of the first things that came to my mind was "Smart Paper" (from Diamond Age).
Flexible Display: check (eInk)
Flexibile Battery: check (this here)
Flexible computer: ? Not sure. But then, we can minituarize a computer and simply have one hard edge or something.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
One of the first things that came to my mind was "Smart Paper" (from Diamond Age).
Flexible Display: check (eInk)
Flexibile Battery: check (this here)
This reminds me of the Philips Readius I once had the pleasure to play with:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33795
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Having question the logic of a fexible e-reader Let me confess that I would likely buy one just for the fun value but really I would much rather see research dollars going into e-ink color technology and e-ink refresh rates so we can view pics and vids
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I can see that battery in a backpack with wireless charging of any device I put in the bag. Fantastic!
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Having question the logic of a fexible e-reader Let me confess that I would likely buy one just for the fun value but really I would much rather see research dollars going into e-ink color technology and e-ink refresh rates so we can view pics and vids
I agree 100%. I've just given up trying to read some magazines on my tablet; sat outside in my garden in bright light it is simply impossible. No issue at all reading books on my Sony Reader; but illustrations and e-ink screens at present are a no go area.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Flexible e-readers would be huge. As it is now, the screens are fragile. With flexible displays, they would be considerably more durable. And they could weigh less because there wouldn't need to be material to prevent them from flexing.

Working on flexible e-readers doesn't preclude working on color e-ink. Businesses have to work on more than one thing at a time or get left behind.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Flexible e-readers would be huge. As it is now, the screens are fragile. With flexible displays, they would be considerably more durable. And they could weigh less because there wouldn't need to be material to prevent them from flexing.

Working on flexible e-readers doesn't preclude working on color e-ink. Businesses have to work on more than one thing at a time or get left behind.
Color e-ink, frontlit.

from 1:50 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VqEYOUNFQ

Could not quite understand its resolution but since they mentioned pocketbook and second part of 2013, it is announced color lux, although here it kind of looks a bit better than color lux to me.

I would like to finally see some reflective lcd this year too, maybe as additional monitor like display-solution's pixel qi.

sony
Paper-like low-power color LCD plays video - Japan Display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXu9jmTI2A

sharp
-Polarizer-free Reflective LCD Combined with Ultra Low-power Driving Technology
http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/resour...hite_paper.pdf
sharpmemorylcd.com/resources/polarizer-free_reflective_lcd_white_paper.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b482S0jl5To

pixel qi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVWQpMFhDCg

http://www.display-solution.com/en/p...s/pixelQI.html

Last edited by markom; 07-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote