Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
To buy, or not to buy...

So this week at Wal-Mart they have a deal on the Kindle 4 where you get a free $30 gift card with purchase. I'm seriously considering this, but I'm still on the fence, so to speak.

Now, as you have probably guessed from reading under my profile picture, I don't really "need" another ereader. I will say that I do a vast majority of my ereading on my e-ink devices, my 505 and my 300. The iPad and Galaxy are only used for reading on the rare occasions that I forget my ereader at home.

So why am I interested in a Kindle? The biggest advantage that I can see is the built-in WiFi, which the 505 and 300 do not have. I also like the big page turn buttons on both sides of the device, as I think that would be more comfortable for me.

As far as content is concerned, I pretty much get all of my ebooks from the Phoenix Public Library. I would really like to be able to check a book out of the library on the device itself and download it without having to hook it up to a computer. Is it easy to do this with the Kindle?

To all current Kindle 4 users, what do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

A few other points I'd like to make:

-I do not need 3G.
-I'm really not interested in a touch screen. I read while I eat so I would think that would just make the screen icky.
-I have no use for a built-in keyboard.
-I can't think of anything else right now.

The bottom line is that I would like a little "beater reader" that I can use daily, that has built-in WiFi, doesn't cost a lot of money, and that I can download library books to without hooking it up to a computer. Could this be a good purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for all advice and opinions.
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Most of the people that have a kindle and another brand of ereader have the kindle becase frequently Amazon tends to be the lowest cost re-seller of what ever book they are interested in and they want to be able to read the boosk from amazon without the troubble of stripping the drm and converting the file format. For the sales prices of the basic kindles they are telling me "its so cheap its simply more effective for them to have an extra kindle sitting around". If this makes sense for you then its a great reader, I simply would not spend the $80 for the conveniece of being able to read my amazon boosk without stripping and converting. As with all things in life the answer to the question of to buy the cheap kindle or not becomes - whats the convenience worth to you?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
What about the Sony T1 if your primary interest is library books via Wi-fi? The Sony has an integrated app to access the library through the browser and download direct to the device. You can also return them early on the device too. Fry's Electronics has been having sales on the Sony T1. They also available at Target.

I borrow library books and read them on my T1 because it's so easy. It's a bit more complicated to read them on my Kindle (but still pretty easy). You have to do a few extra steps via computer and Penguin books now have to download via USB cable (I think there's a workaround now by changing some browser settings to this requirement).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post

The bottom line is that I would like a little "beater reader" that I can use daily, that has built-in WiFi, doesn't cost a lot of money, and that I can download library books to without hooking it up to a computer. Could this be a good purchase for me?

Thanks in advance for all advice and opinions.
Sounds perfect for your needs, to me. The best thing about the Kindle itself (not counting the excellent book store and customer service) is the ability to email books to the device without ever having to hook it up. This works with library books I get, too. For many of those, I go through Amazon and Amazon sends it to the Kindle. The convenience can NOT be beat by any other reader!

I don't have one of those, but I do have other Kindles. If I didn't already have 2 e-ink ereaders and a Fire of my own, I would be tempted!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote