Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I feel the same way about Hemingway, but for his paperbacks. I don't see why I should spend 15 or 16 bucks on a thin trade paperback. I hate when publishers don't make mass market versions available. I imagine if they ever make Hemingway's books e-books they'll be priced similarly, though.
$15!

That's particularly egregious considering that a lot of Hemmingway stories and books are packaged in American Lit texts.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I actually don't mind previews that much... and lately everything we've bought has let us skip, so that's good. (Although I have the Blu-ray commercials. HEY MOVIE-MAKERS. IF I BOUGHT THE BLU-RAY VERSION, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL ME ON BLU-RAY ANY FURTHER.)
It really pisses me off that I can't skip previews, only fast forward until the new chapter. Also, blu-ray players were, once upon a time, marketed with internet connectivity. This fabled technology was to work wonders for the consumer, such as letting them download and watch special features such as "behind the scenes" and "interviews with the director". None of which, I've ever seen in real life.

I just watched Tron: Legacy, and the wonderful internet connectivity was used for the awesomeness of COMMERCIALS on the disc menu screen. Up and coming features, and the like. This is AFTER I watched the friggin previews on the disc.

If only Netflix streaming actually looked as good as a blu-ray... I'd skip this whole buying media from the studios thing.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Faulkner and Hemingway are really living it up --somewhere-- with all the money coming in from their ebook and paperback sales!

How do publishers get these rights?
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More interestingly, who is profiting from them?

I'm serious. Does Faulkner/Hemmingway have a descendent that is getting paid for these copies, or is it all just going into the Knopf Official Money Pile?

(I could Wiki it, but I must feed the cats now. And I'm lazy. So there's that.)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Both Hemingway and Faulkner had children, one of Hemingway's is still alive. It's probably harder to find out who controls the literary estate. For example, in the US, I think that the rights to some famous author, IIRC Arthur Conan Doyle, ended up owned by the ex-husband and/or step-children of one of author's daughters. I'm sure that ended well.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Interesting. Pretty sure Doyle's son died in a war -- I remember reading something about him spending a lot of money on seances and the like later in life; I didn't know he had a surviving daughter.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
WW1 - and, unsurprisingly, it changed a lot of his views and affected many things he did in later life especially an interest in Spiritualism and allied things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Interesting. Pretty sure Doyle's son died in a war -- I remember reading something about him spending a lot of money on seances and the like later in life; I didn't know he had a surviving daughter.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote